Score: Univ.-Wisconsin River Falls, 82; Emmanuel College, 56
Records: Univ.-Wisconsin River Falls Falcons, (9-2); Emmanuel College Saints, (4-6)
Location: Whittier, Calif. – Whittier College
Date: Saturday, December 30, 2017
THE LEAD: Despite having four starters score in double-figures, the Emmanuel College women's basketball team suffered an 82-56 setback against University-Wisconsin River Falls on Saturday afternoon at Whittier College.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- An old-fashioned three point play by sophomore guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.) put the Saints on top 12-9 midway through the first quarter action but the Falcons responded with a 14-0 run to take the lead for good.
- After trailing by double-digits early in the second quarter, Emmanuel cut the lead to seven following a jumper by Kayla Weaver () to make it a 36-29 game with 2:31 to play in the half.
- River Falls ended the half on a 7-1 spurt to take a 43-30 lead into the halftime break.
- The Falcons stayed in control in the third quarter, outscoring the Saints 20-14 to take a 63-44 advantage into the final quarter.
- Emmanuel was unable to overcome the 19 points deficit in the fourth quarter as the Falcons outscored them 19-12 in the final quarter.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Brynn Liljander led all scorers with 19 points for U-Wisconsin River Falls while Crystal Pearson netted 17 points in 27 minutes of action off the bench.
- Ramirez-Tejeda and Madison McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I.) led Emmanuel with 12 points each while Weaver and Mary McCarthy (Scituate, Mass.) added 11 points each.
- The Emmanuel starting five outscored the River-Falls starters by a 51-49 margin while the Falcons reserves dominated the Saints' bench, 33-5.
- Emmanuel returns to action tomorrow afternoon when they take on Dickinson College at 12:00 PM PST.
- Univ.-Wisconsin River-Falls is back next year, traveling to Wisconsin Stevens Point on January 3 for a 7 PM tip.