Score: Emerson College, 0; Emmanuel College, 3 (25-14, 25-18, 25-15)
Records: Emerson College (8-4); Emmanuel College (12-9)
Location: Boston, Mass- Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, March 14, 2019
The Lead: The Emmanuel College Men's Volleyball team picked up a 3-0 sweep over Emerson College behind a strong all-around performance by senior outside hitter Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.). English finished the night with seven kills, four aces, four digs and three total blocks.
How it Happened
- The teams started out equally matching each other point for point until Emmanuel gained a 2 point lead, 6-4, on a kill by John Carroll (Massapequa, N.Y.).
- After Emerson's Win Kittivatcharapon (Bangkok, Thailand) earned the Lions another point with a kill, the Saints extended their lead, 10-5, on one kill, one service ace, and two attack errors.
- Emmanuel's offense was powered by kills and service aces from Erik English and kills from Justin Schueler (Trumbull, Conn.), Alex Silva (Jamaica Plain, Mass.), and Mike Kokoros (Braintree, Mass.) for the remainder of the set to close it out with a score of 25-14.
- The set started off with similar back and forth action, 6-5, as both sides struggled with offense productivity, but Emerson's Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, New Jersey) and Emmanuel's Justyn Schueler led both teams to competitive play.
- The Saints took a 3-point lead, 7-10, after a service error, but Emerson eventually caught up and tied the set, 10-10, on two kills by Piorkowski and an attack error.
- After the Lions took a timeout, 20-14, the Saints' earned the first point with blocks by Erick English and Alex Silva and closed out the set 25-18.
- The Saints opened the third set with a 7-0 run that was powered by two service aces and a kill from Erick English, a kill from Mike Kokoros, and three errors.
- The Lions ended the Saints' streak on an attack error, 7-1, and continued to shrink their 6-point deficit on a bad set.
- The Saints held at least a 4-point lead for the remainder of the set and closed out the sweep with a score of 25-15.
Inside the Numbers:
- Emerson's Mark Piorkowski was the game leader in kills, brining in 14 for the Lions.
- Schueler finished with a team-best nine kills for Emmanuel while English and Kokoros added seven kills each.
- Junior setter Seamus McDonagh (Long Beach, N.Y.) dished out 28 assists in the victory.
- Emmanuel improves to 19-4 all-time against Emerson and has won the last three meetings.
- Emmanuel is slated to play in a tri-match on Saturday, March 16th starting at 12:00PM against Lasell College and facing Regis College at 2:00 PM. Both games are at Regis College.
- On Tuesday, March 19th Emerson goes on the road face MIT at 7:00 PM.
*Recap written by Emmanuel College Athletics Intern Mairead Scanlon