Emmanuel College, 3 vs. Dean College, 0 (25-7, 25-10, 25-5)
Nazareth College, 3 vs. Emmanuel College, 0 (25-15, 25-20, 25-12)
Emmanuel College Saints (5-6)
Nazaretj College Golden Flyers (8-3)
Dean College Bulldogs (1-4)
Location: Providence, R.I. – Johnson & Wales University
Date: Friday, February 15, 2019
THE LEAD: In a tail of two matches, the Emmanuel College men's volleyball cruised to a 3-0 victory over Dean College before getting swept by Nazareth College, 3-0, on Friday afternoon in the Johnson & Wales University Invite.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints came out of the gates on fire, taking a 5-0 lead to open the first set and never looked back en route to a 25-7 win, holding the Bulldogs to a negative -.222 hitting percentage in the frame.
- EC continued to swing away in the second frame, collecting 10 kills while hitting a combined .438 as a squad to race to a 2-0 lead in the match following a 25-10 victory.
- The Bulldogs were not able to recover as the Saints swung at a gaudy .524 clip in the third set, landing 11 kills on 21 attempts with zero errors, cruising to the 25-5 win and 3-0 sweep.
- The Golden Flyers turned the tables on the Saints, starting the match off with four consecutive points to take control of the first set. Emmanuel was able to cut it to two points, trailing 15-13 midway through the frame but Nazareth finished the frame on a 10-2 run to post a convincing 25-15 win to go ahead 1-0 in the action.
- The Saints scored the first point in the second set before Nazareth rattled off six straight winners to again take an early strong hold of the set. Emmanuel was never able to even the match as the Golden Flyers pushed ahead to a 25-20 win.
- Nazareth made quick work of Emmanuel in the final frame, hitting .533 as a team and coasting to the 25-12 victory to complete the 3-0 sweep.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior setter Seamus McDonagh (Long Beach, N.Y.) combined for 43 assists over the two matches.
- Senior outside hitter Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.) finished the day with nine kills and six aces.
- Junior middle hitter Justyn Schueler (Trumbull, Conn.) posted nine kills in the Nazareth match, a match-high.
- The Saints return to action on Thursday, February 21 when they head to Pine Manor College for a non-conference doubleheader starting at 6:00PM.