Score: Nichols College, 0; Emmanuel College, 3 (25-17, 25-16, 25-14)
Records: Nichols College Bisons (0-3); Emmanuel College Saints (1-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Wednesday, January 29th, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College Men's Volleyball team completed a three set sweep, led by 13 kills by senior outside hitter Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.) and a strong outing by junior right side hitter John Carroll (Massapequa, N.Y.), to hand Nichols College their third loss in their inaugural season, 25-17, 25-16, 25-14.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams started the set equally matching each other point for point until the Saints were able to extend to a three point lead, 5-2, off of an assisted block by junior John Carrol and Justyn Schueler (Trumbull, Conn.) and a service ace by senior Alex Silva (Jamaica Plain, Mass.).
- EC was able to continue the offense with mid-set kills by Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.) and aces by English and sophomore Mike Kokoros (Braintree, Mass.), 15-8, forcing a timeout by the Bisons.
- Nichols came out of the break scoring two quick points off of back to back kills by Nick Graichen (Charlestown, R.I.) and Collin Hunter (Taunton, Mass.), which led to three unforced errors by the Saints, 19-17, but EC regained composure and closed out the set 25-17 on kills by Carroll and English.
- The set started off equally, 5-5, as both sides struggled with offensive efficiency, but the Bisons freshmen outside hitter Collin Hunter (Taunton, Mass.) and right side hitter Lance Law (Taunton, Mass.) and the Carroll of the Saints led both teams to a competitive first few points.
- EC was able to take the lead through the middle of the frame due to forced attacking errors by Nichols and kills by Schueler and Carroll, 14-11, and continued to hold the lead with an assisted block by freshman Gary Randall (Essex Junction, Vt.) and Silva, 18-15.
- The second frame was closed out on a 6-1 run by the Saints, 25-16, from one kill by Silva, two kills by Schueler and an assisted block by Carroll and Schueler.
- Nichols started off the frame on a 4-1 led by the offensive attack by Hunter and continued to hold a three point lead with an ace by Kevin Keohane (Jefferson, N.J.) and another kill by Law, 8-5.
- EC came back to tie the match, 8-8, as junior setter Seamus McDonagh and began to take the lead with an offensive punch from English sparking the team and an assisted block by Silva and English, 15-11.
- The Saints held at least a three point lead for the remainder of the set to close out the match thanks to continued offensive play by English and Carroll and powerful service by Randall, 25-14.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- English recorded a game-high 13 kills for the Saints, with a hitting percentage of .308, along with nine digs and one assisted block.
- Law led the way for the Bisons, recording nine kills, one block and one dig with a .200 kill percentage.
- The Saints were able to own every category, recording a team .308 kill percentage, 32 assists, 36 digs and 11 total blocks.
- Emmanuel has a quick turnaround as they head on the road to face Newbury College on Thursday, January 31st at 7:00 PM.
- On Friday, February 1st the Bisons will be back on the road to face Regis College at 4:00 PM.