Score: Emmanuel College, 0; Rutgers-Newark, 3
Emmanuel College, 1; Vassar, 3
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (0-2, 0-0 GNAC)
Rutgers-Newark Scarlet Raiders (2-2, 0-0 NJAC)
Vassar College Brewers (3-1, 0-0 Liberty League)
Location: Poughkeepsie, N.Y. – Kenyon Hall
Date: Tuesday, January 22, 2019
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College men's volleyball team dropped its opening two matches of the 2019 campaign, falling to Rutgers-Newark in its opener, 3-0, before dropping a 3-1 decision to Vassar College later in the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints and Scarlet Raiders battled in the opening set with each team holding multiple leads before Rutgers-Newark came through late in the frame to seal a 26-24 win.
- Emmanuel was not able to recover from that point on as the Scarlet Raiders cruised in the second frame to a 25-15 win to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- Despite jumping out to an early 6-3 lead in the third set, the Saints were not able to muster a comeback as the Scarlet Raiders sealed the sweep with a 25-18 victory in the third.
- Emmanuel needed extra points to pick up a 27-25 first set victory over the Brewers, taking the 1-0 lead in the action behind a strong frame by senior outside hitter Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.).
- Vassar responded with a dominating second set, controlling play for a 25-12 win to even the match at 1-1.
- The Brewers never allowed Emmanuel to answer, posting a 25-19 win in the third set before sealing the win with a 25-17 score in the fourth frame to take the match by a 3-1 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- English finished the day with 15 kills, posting a team-high 11 winners in the Vassar match.
- Elan Dorkhman and David Mrowko each recorded 10 kills for Rutgers-Newark.
- Four players for Vassar finished the match with double-figure kill totals as Jake Kaplan (12), George Diehl, Jefferson Waters (11), and Kevin Ros (10) led the way.
- Rugters-Newark posted a .298 team hitting percentage in their win compared to just a .106 clip for the Saints.
- Vassar also swung well from the floor, delivering a .369 hitting percentage while hold EC to just .047 from the floor.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Tuesday, January 29 for their home-opener when they play host to Nichols College at 7:00 PM on the Andy Yosinoff Court.