Score: Regis College, 2; Emmanuel College, 3 (25-27, 25-20, 24-26, 15-9)
Records: Regis College Pride (7-18, 2-9 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (13-13, 7-4 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, March 31, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College men's volleyball team went the distance in a 3-2 victory over visiting Regis College Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action. The Saints trailed 2-1 after three set but rallied for the 3-2 victory to improve to 7-4 in GNAC play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel led by as many as four points (18-14) during the frame before the Pride rallied to even the score at 18-18 following an EC attacking error.
- Facing two set points, the Pride avoided falling in a 0-1 hole by tying the match at 24-24 and 25-25 before taking advantage of two straight Emmanuel hitting errors to end the frame with a 27-25 win for Regis.
- The second set was tight early on before the Saints pushed ahead to again take an 18-14 lead following a kill by junior middle hitter Alex Silva (Jamaica Plain, Mass.).
- Regis cut the lead to one point at 21-20 on a kill by Inelson Alves before the Saint rattled off the final four points of the frame to take the set 25-20 and even the match at 1-1.
- The visitors raced out to a 10-6 lead after a kill by Jeff Ramos but Emmanuel clawed back to pull ahead 19-17 on a kill from sophomore outside hitter Manuel Velez (San Jose, Costa Rica).
- The Pride regrouped scoring four straight points to regain a 23-20 lead.
- Emmanuel responded and tied the score at 24-24 on a kill from junior opposite Kevin Orsley (San Jose, Calif.) but consecutive kills from Drew Beimel powered Regis to a 26-24 third set win to take a 2-1 lead in the match.
- The Pride used the momentum to take an early 3-0 lead in the fourth stanza behind the service game of Wade Robidoux but EC answered with five straight points to go up 5-3 in the early goings.
- Neither team led by more than three points in the frame, and the score was tied 15 times through the action.
- With things deadlocked at 23-23, Velez slammed home back-to-back winners to propel the Saints into a decisive fifth set with a 25-23 win.
- After giving the Pride a 1-0 cushion with a bad set, Emmanuel put together a 9-1 run to take a 9-2 stronghold of the final set score.
- Regis cut the score to 13-9 behind the service game of Robidoux but kills by Orsley and sophomore middle hitter John Carroll (Massapequa, N.Y.) propelled the Saints to the 15-9 win for the 3-2 victory
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Carroll ended the action with a career-high 15 kills to go along with nine total blocks.
- Brett Krahl paced the Pride with 15 kills while Beimel and Alves each added 12 winners.
- Orsley and junior outside hitter Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.) added 12 and 11 kills, respectively while each posting double-figure dig totals (15 & 14) for a double-double.
- Sophomore libero Max Gottuso (Long Beach, N.Y.) recorded a match-high 16 digs while sophomore setter Seamus McDonagh (Long Beach, N.Y.) dished out 47 helpers in the win.
- The Saints are idle until Thursday, April 5 when they head to Providence, R.I. to take on Johnson & Wales in a key GNAC showdown with playoff hosting implications on the line.
- The Pride return to the court on Tuesday, April 3 playing host to Mound Ida College at 7:00 PM in more GNAC action.