Score: Cal Lutheran, 3; Emmanuel College, 0 (27-25, 25-18, 25-19)
Lesley University, 0; Emmanuel College, 3 (25-9, 25-6, 25-10)
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (10-13)
Cal Lutheran Kingsmen (14-8)
Lesley University Lynx (0-8)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Sunday, March 25, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College men's volleyball team salvaged a split with Cal Lutheran and Lesley University in non-conference action on the Andy Yosinoff Court on Sunday afternoon. The Saints fell to the CLU Kingsmen, 3-0, before rebounding for a 3-0 victory over Lesley in the nightcap.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. CLU
- The Saints led in the opening frame all the way to a 15-12 advantage before CLU turned it on to take an 18-17 lead following an EC attacking error.
- The Kingsmen were able to forced extra points as the Saints held a 25-24 lead but three straight scores by CLU gave them the 27-25 win in the opening frame.
- Emmanuel held another early lead in the second frame, all the way to a 13-12 advantage before the Kingsmen turned it up, scoring eight consecutive points behind the service game of Patrick Rowe to build a 20-13 cushion en route to a 25-18 win.
- Emmanuel was never able to rebound from the second set meltdown as CLU cruised in the final frame to a 20-19 final.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. LESLEY
- Emmanuel raced out to a 9-2 lead in the opening frame and never looked back, cruising to a 25-9 win in the opening set behind a .440 team hitting percentage.
- Junior outside hitter Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.) put on a show in the second set with his service game, recording six aces while the Saints hit a gaudy .800 hitting percentage with eight kills on 10 attempts to route the Lynx by a 25-6 score in set two.
- EC continued to roll in the final frame, holding the visitors to a negative hitting percentage while hitting .650 in the set to win 25-10.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- English led Emmanuel with 13 kills and 11 digs vs. CLU and finished the Lesley match with nine kills and a single-match program record of 11 aces against Lesley.
- Andrew Reina powered CLU against the Saints with a match-high 14 kills
- Against Lesley, sophomore Justyn Schueler (Trumbull, Conn.) recorded 10 kills for Emmanuel.
- John Gersbeck led the Lynx with four kills and five digs.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Tuesday, March 27th when they head to Weston, Mass. to take on Regis College at 7:00 PM.
- CLU takes on Regis tomorrow night (Monday, March 26th), while Lesley hosts Eastern Nazarene College on Tuesday at 8:00 PM.