Scores: Southern Vermont College, 0; Emmanuel College, 3 (25-11, 25-11, 25-8)
Pine Manor College, 0; Emmanuel College, 3 (25-9, 25-10, 25-5)
Records: Southern Vermont College (0-12); Pine Manor College (1-8); Emmanuel College Saints (6-9)
Location: Providence, R.I. – Johnson & Wales University
Date: Saturday, March 10, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College men's volleyball team picked up a pair of 3-0 wins Saturday afternoon in non-conference play on the campus of Johnson & Wales University. EC downed Southern Vermont College 3-0 (25-11, 25-11, 25-8) before sweeping Pine Manor College 3-0 (25-9, 25-10, 25-5).
HOW IT HAPPENED
Vs. Southern Vermont
- The Saints took the first two sets by a 25-11 score, hitting .400 in the opening frame followed by .368 in the second frame.
- Emmanuel's defense held the Mountaineers to just eight points in the final set for the 25-8 win and 3-0 sweep.
- Junior outside hitter Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.) led all players with nine kills to go along with eight digs.
- Sophomore libero Maz Gottuso (Long Beach, N.Y.) picked up 25 digs in the win.
- Sophomore setter Seamus McDonagh (Long Beach, N.Y.) dished out 26 assists while also recording four aces.
Vs. Pine Manor
- EC made quick work of the Gators in the opening set, notching a 25-9 win while hitting a gaudy .533 in the frame (10-2-15).
- The Saints defense forced Pine Manor into 24 errors in the match which resulted in a negative -.362 hitting percentage on the day.
- Emmanuel cruised to a 25-10 and 25-5 win in the second and third sets to sweep the match.
- Sophomore middle hitter John Carroll (Massapequa, N.Y.) was nearly perfect in the match, recording eight kills on nine swings for an .889 hitting percentage.
- McDonagh passed out 26 helpers in the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Saints hit a season-best .543 in the win over Pine Manor while also producing a .357 hitting percentage against Southern Vermont.
- The sweep marks the second time this year the Saints have picked up back-to-back 3-0 wins, with the other coming back on January 27 against Newbury and Ramapo.
- Emmanuel is back on Tuesday, March 13 in GNAC action against Regis College in Weston, Mass. at 7:00 PM.