Score: Newbury College, 0; Emmanuel College, 3 (25-10, 25-15, 25-12)
Records: Newbury College Nighthawks (0-2); Emmanuel College Saints (1-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, January 27th, 2018
THE LEAD: Junior outside hitter Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.) posted 12 kills and 16 digs to lift Emmanuel College past Newbury College, 3-0 (25-10, 25-15, 25-12), Saturday afternoon in non-conference men's volleyball action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints jumped out to an early 2-1 lead before rattling off 10 consecutive points behind the service game of junior middle hitter Alex Silva (Jamaica Plain, Mass.) to set the tone for the match with a 12-1 lead.
- Sophomore setter Seamus McDonagh (Long Beach, N.Y.) ran an efficient offense in the set, dishing out 10 assists and helping the Saints to a .682 hitting percentage.
- Trevor Thorne and Alvin Fernandes each had two kills apiece for the Nighthawks in the frame.
- Emmanuel found itself in a similar spot in the second set, racing out to an 11-1 lead with the help of a strong stretch from English behind the service line.
- Newbury was able to get it back to single digits and cut the lead to 16-8 following an Emmanuel hitting error but the Saints extended the margin back to double-digits en route to the 25-15 win.
- Silva recorded four kills on four swings for EC while Thorne led Newbury with three kills in the set.
- Newbury took its first lead of the match early in the third set following a service ace by Thorne to put them ahead 2-1 before the Saints rattle off four consecutive points to take the lead for good and make it 5-2.
- Leading 6-4, Emmanuel went on a 7-1 run powered by three kills from English to extend the lead to 13-5.
- English dominated the set for Emmanuel, recording seven kills and five digs to help the hosts to the 25-12 score and 3-0 sweep of the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Through three matches, English has posted three double-doubles and is currently averaging 4.18 digs and 3.64 kills per set.
- Thorne finished with a team-high seven kills and seven digs for the Nighthawks while Jeremias Soto collected 10 assists.
- McDonagh dished out 33 assists for Emmanuel, assisting to 10 different players to run a balanced attack.
- EC freshman Austin Benoit (Springfield, Mass.) made his collegiate debut in the win and registered a service ace.
- Both squads return to action later in the day facing Ramapo as the Nighthawks square off against the Roadrunners at 2:00 PM while the Saints hit the court at 4:00 PM.