MEN'S VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO ALVERNIA UNIVERSITY IN A FIVE SET THRILLER, 3-2
Score: Alvernia University, 3; Emmanuel College, 2 (19-25, 25-22, 25-23, 14-25, 15-11)
Records: Alvernia University Wolves (1-1); Emmanuel College Saints (0-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, January 20th, 2018
THE LEAD: Junior outside hitter Erik English's (Simi Valley, Calif.) game-high 15 kills and 18 digs could not hold off the Alvernia University Wolves in a five set match over Emmanuel College (19-25, 25-22, 25-23, 14-25, 15-11), Saturday afternoon in non-conference men's volleyball action. The contest was the second of the day for both teams as the Wolves improve to 1-1 while the Saints fall to 0-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints took an early 9-5 lead off of a pair of serving errors by the Wolves and a kill by Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif) from settler Seamus McDonagh (Long Beach, NY).
- Alvernia raced back quickly to take the lead 13-11 off of four straight points, including an ace by Spencer Mathews (Freehold, NJ) before the Saints took back the lead 18-17 from a ball handling error of the Wolves.
- Closing out the set on a 9-2 run, Emmanuel's junior middle hitter Alex Silva (Jamaica Plain, Mass.) completed the set with an ace, 25-19.
- The Saints could not keep the momentum from the first set with the Wolves taking a quick 10-3 lead in the second set before the Saints closed the lead to only four off of a straight three points, 10-6, after an Alvernia attacking error.
- Alvernia was able to command the middle of the set, keeping at least a three point lead until the Saints were able to close the lead to two, led by Manuel Velez (San Jose, Costa Rica) on the service line.
- The Wolves retained the lead to finish off the set with a win, 25-22.
- Both teams traded service and attack errors to keep the first portion of the frame close before Emmanuel was able to pull away 14-8 after a kill from Silva and service ace by English.
- Leading 18-16, the Saint let up two straight points as the Wolves tied the set at 18 off of a pair of kills by Ralph Lunati III (Lake Grove, NY) and Josh Stewart (York, Pa.).
- The Wolves pulled ahead to take the third set, 25-23, finishing on a 5-2 run highlighted by a kill from Logan McGinley (Coplay, Pa.).
- The teams continued the pattern of the third set by exchanging points before the Saints were able to take a five point lead off of five straight points, 11-6.
- Emmanuel was able to extend the lead to seven late in the set off of a kill by English before the Wolves were forced to take a late set time out after falling behind, 21-14.
- The Saints continued to hold off the Wolves to force a fifth set, winning the fourth 25-15.
- After a quick 6-3 lead by the Saints, Alvernia was able to take control of the set by going on a 5-1 run to take the lead, 8-7.
- The Wolves held the lead for the final 7 points, completing the match with a 15-11 win over the Saints.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- English led all players with a match-high 15 kills for Emmanuel and posted a double-double with 18 digs.
- Freshman outside hitter McGinley recorded a team-high 13 kills and four digs to lead the Wolves in the win.
- Senior setter Justin Gibbs dished out a game-high 39 assists, 15 digs and led the team in hitting percentage at .500.
- Alvernia will host a quad match this Friday and Saturday, January 26th and 27th, as they face Loras College, Rutgers-Newark, Lehman College and Vassar College.
- The Saints host Newbury College and Ramapo this Saturday, January 27th, beginning the tri-match at 12PM.