Scores: Emmanuel College, 1; University of Saint Joseph, 2
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (5-9-2, 4-5-2 GNAC)
University of Saint Joseph Blue Jays (8-4-2, 5-4-2 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Saturday, October 20, 2018
THE LEAD: Emmanuel College's men's soccer team fell to the USJ Blue Jays in a double overtime Great Northeast Athletic Conference matchup on Saturday, October 20th, thanks to a 107th minute goal by freshman midfielder Jared Galarza (Newington, Conn.).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Blue Jays were the first to strike, with freshman forward DeAnte Anderson's (Bloomfield, Conn.) sixth goal of the season, assisted by Marcello Delvalle (Bristol. Conn.) and Daniel Castro (Willimantic, Conn.), 1-0.
- EC was quick to strike back, just two and a half minutes later, as freshman Nick Fierro (Katonah, N.Y.) placed a perfect ball in the box off of a free kick for senior defender Travis Cole (Beckley, W. Va.) to head in, tying the game 1-1.
- Neither team was able to score again for the remainder of regulation, despite Emmanuel outshooting the Jays 9-3 in regulation.
- The first overtime came and went without a score, while the Saints were able to tally one shot on goal while USJ had zero.
- USJ was able to close out the game in the 107th minute, thanks to a goal by Galarza, assisted by freshman midfielder Glaymer Cardona (Milford, Conn.), 2-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Saints outshot the Blue Jays eleven to four, while USJ's junior goalkeeper Anen Gadun (Clinton, Conn. recorded six saves while EC's Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) recorded one saves on the night.
- The Saints will be back at home on Tuesday, October 23rd for a non-conference matchup against Pine Manor College as EC celebrates Senior Night.
- The Jays have the week to prepare for their GNAC quarterfinal game at Norwich University on Saturday, October 27th at 4:30PM.