Scores: Emmanuel College, 1; Norwich University, 1
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (5-7-2, 4-3-2 GNAC)
Norwich University Cadets (9-1-4, 6-1-2 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Saturday, October 13, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College men's soccer team played Norwich University to a 1-1 draw on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cadets got on the board early with the help of an Emmanuel miscue in the backline, scoring on an own goal to go ahead 1-0 just 5:50 into the match.
- Norwich appeared to make it 2-0 during the 19th minute of play, converting a header off a corner but the goal was disallowed due to a Cadet foul in the box.
- One minute later, Emmanuel evened the game at 1-1 on a penalty kick by freshman midfielder Campbell Shealy (Lexington, S.C.) resulting from a foul in the box on freshman forward Robert Danielian (Watertown, Mass.).
- The score remained at 1-1 heading into the half with neither squad getting a quality opportunity down the stretch.
- Emmanuel had the first good look in the second frame as senior defender Travis Cole (Beckley, W.V.) connected on a solid header off a corner that sailed just wide of the right hand post 15 minutes into the half.
- With 12 minutes to play in regulation, Emmanuel had another solid scoring opportunity as freshman forward Kyle Monaghan (Monson, Mass.) forced NU senior keeper Brendan Germano (Monroe Township, N.J.) to make a diving near-post save to keep the game knotted at 1-1.
- In the first overtime session, neither squad had a good scoring look with the only shot in the period coming in the 99th minute of play by Emmanuel freshman back Thomas Skrelja (Newtown, Conn.).
- With 3:26 left in the second overtime, NU freshman Eric Badibanga (Burlington, Vt.) had the best scoring opportunity of the frame but sent his attempt wide left.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Cadets owned a 7-5 shots advantage on the afternoon.
- Norwich also owned a 9-5 edge in corner kick attempts.
- In 21 career meetings, the Saints are still in search of their first win over Norwich as the Cadets now hold a 17-0-4 all-time record over EC.
- Emmanuel has now tied the Cadets in each of their last three regular-season meetings.
- Emmanuel junior keeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) made four saves on the afternoon while Germano was credited with two stops for NU.
- The Saints return to action on Wednesday, October 17 when they travel to Providence, R.I. to take on Johnson & Wales University at 7:00 PM in more GNAC play.
- Norwich is also back on the pitch on Wednesday, traveling to Colby-Sawyer College for a 3:30 PM GNAC match up.