Anna Maria, 1; Emmanuel College, 4
Emmanuel College Saints (4-4-1, 3-1-1 GNAC)
Anna Maria College AMCats (2-7, 0-4 GNAC)
Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Wednesday, September 26, 2018
THE LEAD: Junior midfielder Nick Fierro (Katonah, N.Y.) tallied four points on a goal and two assists to power the Emmanuel College men's soccer team over Anna Maria College, 4-1, Wednesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Following 26 minutes of scoreless action, Nick Lawrence (Attleboro, Mass.) opened the scoring with his second goal of the campaign to give the visitors a 1-0 lead. Lawrence converted a feed from Sebastian Sosa (Providence, R.I.) with a strong finish.
- The AMC goal was the loan marker of the half as Anna Maria carried a 1-0 lead into halftime despite being outshot by the Saints, 9-2 at the break.
- Emmanuel netted the equalizer but four minutes into the second stanza as Fierro potted his second goal of the year at 49:10 marker to even the score at 1-1.
- EC freshman forward Kyle King (Gorham, Maine) tallied his fourth goal of the season just three minutes later, finishing a feed from Fierro for the eventual game-winner to put Emmanuel on top for good at 2-1.
- Freshman Rober Danielian (Watertown, Mass.) got into the scoring column with his fourth goal of the year in the 65th minute, connecting on a feed from freshman midfielder Kyle Monaghan (Monson, Mass.) to bump the lead to 3-1.
- Sophomore forward Morgan Mercier (Lincolnville, Maine) capped the scoring in the 77th minute, scoring the first goal of his college career with the help of another Fierro dime to wrap up the scoring with a 4-1 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
· The Saints finished the night with a 17-4 advantage in shots and also owned a 10-5 margin in corner kick attempts.
· Both King and Fierro have now scored in back-to-back games, the first time all season that two teammates have accomplished the feat on the Saints.
· EC junior keeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) made three saves to earn the win and improve to 4-4-1 in between the pipes before making way to freshman Matthew LaMondia (East Longmeadow, Mass.) in his collegiate debut.
· AMC keeper Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, Mass.) made four saves on the night for the AMCats to fall to 2-6 on the season.
· Both squads return to the pitch this Saturday, September 29th. The Saints head to Bristol, R.I. to take on Roger Williams University in non-conference action at 12:00 PM while Anna Maria plays host to Lasell College at 4:00 PM in another GNAC battle.