Rivier University, 0; Emmanuel College, 4
Emmanuel College Saints (3-4-1, 2-1-1 GNAC)
Rivier University Raiders (0-6, 0-3 GNAC)
Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Friday, September 21, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College men's soccer team scored a season-high four goals to power host visiting Rivier College, 4-0, Friday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a slow start, the Saints broke into the scoring column in the 30th minutes as junior midfielder Nick Fierro (Katonah, N.Y.) scored his first collegiate goal of a direct kick just outside the penalty area to make it 1-0.
- Less than 10 minutes later, Emmanuel added to its lead as freshman Campbell Shealy (Lexington, S.C.) registered his first collegiate marker on a penalty kick to bump the lead to 2-0 heading into halftime.
- In the second half, freshman forward Kyle King (Gorham, Maine) found the back of the net in the 52nd and 59th minutes of play to seal the win with some insurance. King connected on a ball from Fierro off a corner kick for the third Emmanuel goal before finishing off a pass from classmate Robert Danielian (Watertown, Mass.) to account for the 4-0 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Saints outshot the Raiders by a 16-6 margin while owning an 8-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- EC junior keeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) notched his first shutout victory of the season, making three saves in the win.
- Rivier goalkeeper Nicholas Hasenfus (Attleboro, Mass.) made five saves before being relieved by freshman River Sutton (Kingman, Ariz.) who made two stops.
- Emmanuel improves to 11-4-2 all-time against the Raiders and has not lost in nine straight meetings (7-0-2).
- Emmanuel returns to action on Wednesday, September 26 when they host Anna Maria College at 7:00 PM in another GNAC affair.
- Rivier is back on Monday, September 24 when they play host to Pine Manor College at 7:00 PM.