Scores: Emmanuel College, 3; Colby Sawyer College, 2
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (2-3, 1-1 GNAC)
Colby-Sawyer College Chargers (2-4, 2-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Thursday, September 13, 2018
THE LEAD: Freshman forward Robert Danielian (Watertown, Mass.) scored two goals on the evening, his first multi-goal game of his career, leading the offensive attack for the Saints on their way to a 3-2 victory over the Colby-Sawyer Chargers, Thursday night in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints were the first to strike, only 6:36 into the match, when freshman Robert Danielian (Watertown, Mass.) scored in the box from a pass by fellow freshman Kyle King (Gorham, Maine), 1-0.
- Colby-Sawyer stormed back just six minutes later as senior captain Matt Schiller (Slingerlands, N.Y.) was able to deflect a ball into the back of the net, tying the game 1-1.
- Danielian and King were able to break away from the pack, creating a two-on-one, allowing for Danielian to score his second goal of the evening, assisted by King, 2-1.
- After the break, the Chargers were able to tie the game at two apiece as sophomore Ethan Sweet (Cornish, N.H) beat the Emmanuel defense and put a ball in the top right corner, 2-2.
- Emmanuel's Thomas Skrelja (Newtown, Conn.) drove to the wing and played a great pass into the box where junior Jack Barbour (Hollis, N.H.) connected to score his first goal of the season, putting the Saints ahead 3-2 with 19 minutes left in the half.
- The Chargers had a great opportunity with two and a half minutes left in the half off of a corner kick, but the Saints were able to clear the ball, sealing the win 3-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- While the Saints were able to tally three goals on the evening, the Chargers controlled the shots on goal, 7-6.
- Junior goalkeeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) recorded five saves for the Saints, while senior Shane Sacks (Huntington Station, N.Y.) recorded his first GNAC loss of the season with three saves for the Chargers.
- This year is the inaugural season for the Colby-Sawyer Chargers as a member of the GNAC conference.
- The Saints have a quick two-day turn around before heading on the road to New Haven, Conn. to take on the Albertus Magnus Falcons in GNAC action on Saturday, September 15th at 11:00 AM.
- Colby Sawyer has almost a week to rest before heading on the road to play GNAC foe Johnson & Wales University on Wednesday, September 19th at 5:00 PM.