Regis College, 1; Emmanuel College, 0
Emmanuel College Saints (1-3-0, 0-1-0 GNAC)
Regis College Pride (3-1-0, 1-1-0 GNAC)
Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Tuesday, September 11, 2018
THE LEAD: Junior Ken Niyonzima (Dracut, Mass.) netted the lone goal in Tuesday evening's Great Northeast Athletic Conference men's soccer contest to power visiting Regis College past Emmanuel College, 1-0, at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half saw just six total shots combined as neither squad had a quality scoring opportunity during the opening stanza.
- In the second frame, the Saints had a great look early in the half as freshman forward Kyle King (Gorham, Maine) headed a ball just over the bar during the 48th minute of play.
- Regis didn't put a shot on goal until the 57th minute of play, forcing EC junior keeper Jonathan Ferrarini to make his only save of the night.
- Niyonzima broke the 0-0 tie in the 69th minute of play, netting his second goal of the year to give the Pride the 1-0 cushion by beating the Saints back line on the left side before finishing with a low strike.
- Emmanuel nearly tied the game in the final minute of regulation but a shot by EC junior Nick Fierro (Katonah, N.Y.) rocketed off the crossbar before the Pride were able to clear the ball and end the threat to hold on for the GNAC victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emmanuel outshot Regis by a 9-6 margin and also owned a 2-0 lead in corner kicks attempted.
- Regis keeper Jesse Bonilla (Ramona, Calif.) improves to 3-1 on the year in goal making four saves in the win while Ferrarini falls to 1-3 between the pipes for the Saints.
- The loss snaps a five year unbeaten stretch for EC in their GNAC opener, going 4-0-1 since from 2013 through 2017 in their first conference game of the season.
- King finished the night with a game-high three shots, landing two on frame.
- The Saints return to action on Thursday evening, playing host to Colby-Sawyer College at 7:00 PM in more GNAC action while Regis is back on the pitch on Saturday afternoon when they travel to West Hartford, Conn. to face the University of Saint Joseph (CT) at 12:00 PM.