Scores: Emerson College, 1; Emmanuel College, 2
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (1-0-0, 0-0-0 GNAC)
Emerson College Lions (0-2-0, 0-0-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Saturday, September 1, 2018
THE LEAD: Freshman forwards Samuel Burghardt (Gorham, Maine) and Kyle King (Gorham, Maine) each scored in their collegiate debut to power the Emmanuel College men's soccer team past Emerson College, 2-1, Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson had the first scoring chance of the action as Paul Bou Aziz (Nice, France) rocketed a shot from 25 yards out off of the Emmanuel crossbar 15 minutes into the first half of play.
- The Saints kept the pressure high in the Lions defensive zone resulting in 10 first-half corner kick opportunities.
- Emmanuel struck first in the 26th minute of play as senior back Travis Cole (Beckley, W.V.) caught the Emerson back line flat with a long through ball to the feet of Burghardt. The 6'2 freshman needed just two touches to break free and net his first collegiate marker to give the Saints a 1-0 lead.
- Just over a minute after the Emmanuel goal, the Lions evened the score at 1-1 following a penalty kick conversion by junior forward Gavin Faucette following a foul in the box by the host squad.
- King netted the game-winner with 3:39 to play in the first half, connecting on the back end of a cross from sophomore midfielder Morgan Mercier (Lincolnville, Maine) to put Emmanuel on top for good at 2-1.
- Midway through the second half, the Saints appeared to take a 3-1 lead but the goal was called back on a late foul called on the play.
- With less than six minutes to play in regulation, Faucette broke free on the right side for a semi-break away but EC junior keeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) came up with a diving save to his right to preserve the 2-1 lead.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The opening-day win for the Saints was their first since the 2012 season when they defeated Daniel Webster College by a 1-0 score six years ago today (9/19/12).
- Mercier's assist on the game-winner was the first point of his collegiate career.
- Emmanuel owned a 14-9 shots advantage and ended the game with a 12-5 advantage in corner kicks.
- Ferrarini picked up the win in net making four saves on the afternoon with Emerson sophomore David Kemp (London, England) falls to 0-2 on the year with four saves in the defeat.
- The Saints improve to 4-9-1 all-time against the Lions.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Wednesday, September 5 when they play host to Newbury College at 7:00 PM
- Emerson is idle until next Saturday, September 8 when they host Salem State University at 4:00 PM.