Score: Emmanuel College, 0 vs. Norwich University, 2
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (3-9-7), Norwich University Cadets (10-3-5)
Location: Northfield, Vt. – Sabine FIeld
Date: Sunday, October 29, 2017
THE LEAD: Norwich University scored a goal in each half en route to a 2-0 victory over Emmanuel College Sunday afternoon in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference Quarterfinals. The No. 3 Cadets hold seed and move on to the Semifinals while the loss ends the season for the No. 6 Saints.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After 26 minutes of scoreless play, the Cadets netted the eventual game-winner on sophomore forward Luke Gleadle's (Gilbert, Ariz.) 11th goal of the year to take a 1-0 lead. Senior midfielder Colin Lozito (Wilmington, Vt.) assisted on the marker.
- Norwich owned a 9-3 advantage in shots in the opening half, keeping the Emmanuel scoring opportunities limited.
- In the second frame, Emmanuel pressed on for the equalizer but struggled to get quality looks on frame.
- With 21 minutes to play, EC sophomore midfielder Jack Barbour (Hollis, N.H.) played a deep cross into the Cadets penalty area that NU junior keeper Brendan Germano (Monroe Township, N.J.) went up to intercept. Germano was bumped on the way up by an Emmanuel player, losing the ball in the process which junior Eymar Principe (Caracas, Venezuela) put in the back of the net but the play was whistled dead for the foul and the goal disallowed.
- Lozito put the game out of reach with his second goal of the year, beating an Emmanuel defender off the dribble for the near post finish to make it 2-0 11:52 left in regulation.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Cadets finished the afternoon outshooting Emmanuel by a 29-9 total.
- Norwich also dominated the corner kicks, with a 9-0 advantage over the visiting Saints.
- Germano ended the day making three saves for his fifth shutout of the season, improving to 10-3-5 on the year.
- Emmanuel keeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) made 15 saves in the effort and in doing so, set the new single-season saves record with 140 stops to pass Dan Campagna's '07 mark of 138 from the 2003 season.
- Norwich returns to action on Wednesday, November 1 for the GNAC Semifinals and will head to Providence, R.I. to face No. 2 Johnson & Wales University.
- Emmanuel wraps the 2017 season with a 3-9-7 record.
- The Emmanuel Men's Soccer program would like to thank all of its loyal supporters and fans for their support this season.
- A big thank you as well to seniors Cameron Messier (Belchertown, Mass.), Gustavo Fuenmayor Pineda (Marcaibo, Venezuela), Chris Cutrali (Middlebury, Conn.) and Jason Miech (Coventry, R.I.) for their time with the program.