Score: Emmanuel 3, Lasell 1
Records: Emmanuel Saints (1-4-2, 1-0-1 GNAC); Lasell Lasers (2-5, 1-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Clemente Field
Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2017
The Lead: The Emmanuel College men's soccer team picked up its first win of the 2017 campaign Tuesday evening with a 3-1 victory over Lasell College in Great Northeast Athletic Conference play at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After 30 minutes of scoreless action, EC freshman forward Justin Wentworth (China, Maine) got the action started with his third goal of the season to put the hosts ahead, 1-0. Wentworth received a ball from sophomore Jack Barbour (Hollis, N.H.) and did the rest to give the Saints their first lead in the year in GNAC play.
- Less than two minutes later, Emmanuel added its second goal of the night to take a 2-0 lead. Rookie forward Connor Hawker (San Jose, Calif.) netted his first collegiate tally, finishing off a well-placed pass from senior midfielder Cameron Messier (Belchertown, Mass.) to lift Emmanuel to the two goal lead heading into halftime.
- The Lasers pressed to try and make it a game. Sophomore midfielder Gerald Lemus (Revere, Mass.) cut the host's lead in half with her first goal of the year with 24:09 left to play, firing a shot towards the Saints net that deflected off an Emmanuel defender and into the goal for the score.
- The action intensified and emotions ran high as each team saw multiple cautions issued over the final 25 minutes of play including the Saints having a man sent off for two cautions.
- Playing a man-down, Emmanuel iced the action with its third goal of the evening during the 83rd minute of play as Messier crossed a ball into the box off a corner kick that found the head of junior defender Travis Cole (Beckley, W.V.).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Despite controlling most of the possession, the Saints were outshot by the visiting Lasers, 16-10 on the night.
- Emmanuel sophomore keeper Johnathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) picked up his first win in net this season making six saves for EC.
- Lasell sophomore keeper Jackson Burhans (Berlin, N.Y.) stopped two shots for the Lasers and falls to 2-4 on the year in net.
- Today was the 13th meeting between the two programs with the Lasers still holding the all-time edge over Emmanuel with an 8-4-1 record.
- The Saints return to action on Friday, September 22 when they head to Northfield, Vt. to take on Norwich University in another GNAC sponsored contest at 7:00 PM
- Lasell is back in action on Saturday, September 23 for a GNAC match-up against neighboring Mount Ida College at 12:00 PM