Score: Emmanuel 2, Pine Manor, 2 (2 OT)
Records: Emmanuel Saints (0-1-1); Pine Manor Gators (1-0-1)
Location: Chestnut Hill, Mass. – PMC Field
Date: Monday, September 4, 2017
The Lead: Following 110 minutes of action, Emmanuel College and Pine Manor College played out a 2-2 draw Monday afternoon in non-conference Men's Soccer action at the PMC Field in Chestnut Hill, Mass.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Pine Manor outshot the Saints 15-12 on the afternoon, owning a slight 4-3 advantage in the overtime periods.
- The Gators also owned a 10-7 advantage in corner kicks with six coming in the second stanza.
- The contest was extremely physical with a total of 33 fouls being called as the hosts committed 20 of the infractions, resulting in three yellow cards.
- All four goals were scored during the second half of play
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The squads played to a 0-0 halftime score despite a goal by the host Gators being called back midway through the stanza due to an offsides call.
- EC sophomore William Burdick (Scarborough, Maine) opened the scoring with his first goal of the year in the 51st minute of play, taking advantage of a failed PMC clear with a right-footed rocket from 18 yards out that hit the right post and ricocheted into the back of the net for his first score of the year.
- Pine Manor answered immediately with the equalizer just 3:26 later on a score by Jose Corrales (El Paso, Texas) assisted by Jahvar Gayle (Bloomfield, Conn.). Gayle intercepted an Emmanuel goal kick and fed Corrales with a through ball to make it a 1-1 score.
- Rookie defender Thomas Roberts (Burlington, Mass.) scored his first collegiate goal during the 63rd minute of play to put the Saints back on top, 2-1, off a direct kick from 28 yards out that eluded the Gators' back line and found a way into the back of the net.
- With 11 minutes to play in regulation, PMC keeper Oscar Estrada (Medellin, Colombia) stopped an Emmanuel penalty kick to keep the game within striking distance for his mates.
- With less than five minute remaining, Corrales scored his second goal of the afternoon to even the score at 2-2. Diego Herrara (El Paso, Texas) played a cross from the short corner into the box and Corrales headed it home to send the game into overtime.
- During the overtime session, each team had a chance to walk away with the "W" but each goalie came up with big saves, respectively.
- Estrada finished with five saves while EC keeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) stopped four shots.
- The Saints return to action on Wednesday, September 6 for another road contest when they head to Newbury College for a 3:30 PM kick off at Hellenic College.
- Pine Manor plays host to Salem State University the same day with a 4:00 PM match.