Anna Maria College, 5; Emmanuel College, 8
Emmanuel College Saints (3-9, 3-2 GNAC)
Anna Maria College AMCats (4-9, 2-4 GNAC)
Paxton, Mass. – AMCat Field
Thursday, April 11, 2019
THE LEAD: Seniors Matt Katon (East Falmouth, Mass.) and Steve Gervasio (Johnston, R.I.) combined to score five goals to lift the Emmanuel College men's lacrosse team past Anna Maria College, 8-5, Thursday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at AMCat Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After five minutes of scoreless action to open the contest, Anna Maria jumped out to a 2-0 lead behind a pair of goals from Brandon Pavoni, the second being a man-up tally.
- The Saints cut the lead in half before the first quarter's close as Katon found the back of the net with the help of a Charlie Stutzenberger (Plymouth, Mass.) assist to make it 2-1.
- Katon evened the game early in the second quarter at 2-2 with an unassisted tally before freshman Kyle LeBeau (Milton, Vt.) gave Emmanuel its first lead of the night at 3-2 with 3:23 left in the half on a man-up score.
- With 1:20 to play in the half, Cameron Perry tied the score at 3-3 to send the action into halftime all square.
- Emmanuel took the lead for good just 1:51 into the third quarter on an unassisted score by junior Alex Flanagan to bump the score to 4-3, Emmanuel.
- Gervasio did all his damage over the course of 1:34 on the clock, netting Emmanuel's fifth and sixth goals to increase the visitor's lead to 6-3 with 8:00 minutes to play in the third.
- The AMCats cut the lead to 6-4 before the quarter's close on a man-up marker by Ryan Rockwal, assisted by Nick Massaro to make it a two-goal game heading into the final frame.
- The Saints and Katon made it 7-4 with 11:31 to play with his third score of the contest before freshman Colin Dickinson (Barre, Vt.) put the game out of reach with 3:27 to play with the Saints eighth goal of the evening.
- Anna Maria's Jacob Smith wrapped up the scoring with 1:55 to play to account for the 8-5 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Katon and Gervasio have now scored multiple goals in all the Saints victories this year.
- Along with his late goal, Dickinson added two assists and four groundballs in the win for EC.
- Sophomore Aric Graves (Manchester, Conn.) made eight saves in net to improve to 3-7 on the year in the pipes.
- Anna Maria goalie Paul Schwarz made 16 saves in the losing effort.
- The Saints are back in action on Saturday, April 13 for an important GNAC match-up against Saint Joseph's College (ME) in Boston, Mass. at 1:00 PM. The game is also the Senior Day contest for Katon, Gervasio and fellow senior Ben Hartig-Orr (Reading, Vt.).
- Anna Maria hits the road this weekend for a non-conference affair at Thomas College on Saturday at 4:00 PM.