Score: Lasell College, 14; Emmanuel College, 7
Records: Lasell College Lasers 9-1 (4-0 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints 2-8 (2-2 GNAC)
Location: Roberto Clemente Field, Boston, Mass.
Date: Tuesday, April 2, 2019
THE LEAD: The men's lacrosse team fought from behind against unbeaten Great Northeast Athletic Conference rival Lasell College, but couldn't overcome an early lead despite strong late game play, falling to the Lasers 14-7.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Just over a minute into the game, senior Mike Susi (Gorham, Maine) scored the Lasers' first goal of the night at the 13:54 mark to put the visitors up 1-0.
- Sophomore Colby Buccheri (Rowley, Mass.) scored his 13th goal of the season and his first goal of the night just over five minutes later, which prompted a 5-0 run for the Lasers to give them a six point lead.
- Lasell was able to capitalize early in the second quarter with a goal from senior Ryan Madden (Hingham, Mass.) at the 14:51 mark to extend their lead to 7-0.
- Senior Matt Katon (East Falmouth, Mass.) then scored the Saints' first goal of the night, assisted by junior Alex Flanagan (Westford, Mass.) to close the gap to 7-1.
- The Lasers netted three more before Katon scored his second goal of the night, closing out the first half, 10-2.
- Flanagan got things started for the Saints in the second half netting one at the 13:54 mark, but Buccheri responded with one for the Lasers, 11-3.
- In competitive back and forth action, each team scored one more, 12-4, before the end of the third quarter.
- The point for point trend continued in the fourth quarter as each team scored two before senior Steve Gervasio (Johnston, R.I.) netted one for the Saints at the last second when the buzzer declared the Lasers' victory, 14-7.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Buccheri and Madden led the way for the Lasers with four goals apiece, along with a combined one assist and four ground balls.
- Katon of the Saints scored three of the seven goals for the Saints, while teammates Flanagan and Gervasio both scored two goals as well.
- The Lasers will be back on the road on Saturday, April 6th to face the Norwich University Cadets in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference matchup.
- EC will be hosting Hartwick College on Saturday, April 6th in a non-conference matchup at 3PM as the game is dedicated to Team Cork. Team Cork is dedicated to raising awareness, encouraging people to reach out and support cancer patients, and to raise money to support programs that benefit cancer patients.