Regis College, 6; Emmanuel College, 18
Emmanuel College Saints (2-5, 2-0 GNAC)
Regis College Pride (2-3, 0-3 GNAC)
Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Tuesday, March 26, 2019
THE LEAD: Junior midfielder Alex Flanagan (Westford, Mass.) scored a game-high five goals to power the Emmanuel College men's lacrosse team past Regis College, 18-6, Tuesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints opened the first quarter with five straight goals to take control of the action early including man-up scores by senior Ben Hartig-Orr (Reading, Vt.) and Flanagan to open the action.
- Regis freshman attack Tucker Cherry (Franklin, Mass.) got the Pride on the board with 1:07 left in the first to cut the lead to 5-1 but sophomore Connor Dooley (Cranston, R.I.) answered before the quarter ended to put Emmanuel on top 6-1 at the end of one.
- The Pride outscored the Saints by a 3-1 margin in the opening minutes of the second to pull within three (7-4) following a score by Arpan Kakadia (Pembroke, N.H.) but over the final eight minutes of the half the Saints used goals by Hartig-Orr, seniors Steve Gervasio (Johnston, R.I.) and Matt Katon (East Falmouth, Mass.) to take a 10-4 lead into halftime.
- After trading goals to open the third, the Saints closed the quarter with three straight scores with goals from Flanagan and Gervasio as well as a man-up tally from rookie Andrew Alden (East Lyme, Conn.) to put the hosts ahead 15-4 heading into the final frame.
- Katon traded goals with Regis's Michael Tremblay (Arlington, Mass.) to account for a 15-6 score with 12:29 to play.
- The Saints wrapped up the scoring with three more tallies on goals from Flanagan, sophomore Kyle LeBeau (Milton, Vt.) and Katon to account for the 18-6 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The five goals for Flanagan was a career-high while the junior also added five groundballs in the win.
- Katon ended the night with six points on four goals and two helpers while both Gervasio and Hartig-Orr chipped in with three goals and one assist each.
- Both teams were strong in their man-up performances, each scoring three man-up goals in the action.
- Emmanuel outshot the Pride by a 45-19 margin and also won 19-of-25 face offs.
- Tremblay paced the Pride with three points on two goals and one assist while Michael Daras (Danvers, Mass.) was the only other player on Regis with multiple points, collecting two helpers.
- EC sophomore keeper Aric Graves (Manchester, Conn.) picked up the win making two saves to improve to 2-3 on the year.
- JJ LaRose (Litchfield, N.H.) took the setback, falling to 1-3 despite making eight saves on the night.
- The Saints are back in action on Thursday, March 28 when they head to New England College for a 4:00 PM non-conference match up.
- Regis returns to the field on Saturday, March 30 when the Pride host Saint Joseph's College (ME) at 1:00 PM.