Home of The Saints



GORHAM, Maine -- Rookie attackman Nick James (Portland, Maine/Deering) scored four goals and dished off four assists for an eight-point game as the University of Southern Maine Huskies men's lacrosse team rolled past the visiting Emmanuel College Saints 20-6 in a non-conference game Wednesday afternoon at Hannaford Field.

The win was the second straight for the Huskies who begin the season 2-0 for the first time since 2016.  The winless Saints dropped their fourth consecutive game.

James had plenty of support in the offensive third as senior captain Paul Leonardo (Groton, Mass./Groton-Dunstable) scored four times and had one assist, and junior Tristan Dundas (Abbotsford, B.C.) tallied four goals.  Sophomore Joe Cullinan (Contoocook, N.H./Hopkinton) and rookie Andrew Eno (Brunswick, Maine) had two goals apiece.

Sophomore Griffin Hanson (Dover, N.H.) earned his second win of the campaign making six saves over the first 45 minutes.  Rookie Alex Bonin (South Berwick, Maine/Marshwood) played the final quarter and recorded two saves.

Sophomore Derek Davidson (Hollis, N.H./Hollis-Brookline) had a big day at the center faceoff spot winning 15 of 22 faceoffs and collecting 12 ground balls.

Senior Ben Hartig-Orr (Reading, Vt./Woodstock Union) led the Saints' offense recording a hat trick.  Senior Steve Gervasio (Johnston, R.I./La Salle Academy), sophomore Charlie Stutzenberge (Plymouth, Mass./Plymouth North) and senior Matt Katon (East Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth) had the other Saints goals.  Sophomore goalie Aric Graves (Manchester, Conn./East Catholic) was credited with 10 saves.  Sophomore Connor Dooley (Cranston, R.I./Bishop Hendricken) picked up seven ground balls.

Tied 2-2 inside of two minutes to play in the first quarter, the Huskies got goals from Leonardo off a feed from Cullinan, and Dundas set up by James, in the final 1:08 to lead 4-2 after 15 minutes.

The Huskies controlled play throughout the second and third quarters, outscoring the Saints 5-1 in the second and 5-0 in the third to expand their lead to 14-3.  Dundas had three goals in the second quarter for USM, and four different players contributed goals in the third.

USM outshot Emmanuel 49-25 in the game and won 18 of 30 faceoffs.  The battle for ground balls was relatively even with the Huskies holding a 36-33 edge.

Southern Maine is back in action on Friday (3:00 p.m.) traveling to Husson University for a rescheduled game.  Emmanuel opens GNAC (Great Northeast Athletic Conference) play this Saturday (1 p.m.) at Albertus Magnus College.

*Release courtesy of Southern Maine Athletic Communications