Scores: New England College, 17; Emmanuel College, 7
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (1-10)
New England College Pilgrims (10-4)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Friday, April 13, 2018
THE LEAD: Freshman midfielder Patrick Storie (Williamstown, Mass.) and senior captain Matt Richard (Weare, N.H.) both scored six goals for the New England College men's lacrosse team to take down the Emmanuel College Saints, 17-7, Friday evening in non-conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Pilgrims started the offensive attack early, taking a quick 3-0 lead in the first period behind two scores by Richard and one by first year attackman Charles Hacking (Canterbury, N.H).
- Emmanuel then scored back to back goals by junior midfielder Matt Katon (East Falmouth, Mass.) and senior attackman Charlie Moran (Maitland, Fla.) to close the gap 3-2 before Hacking scored one more goal before the whistle to increase the lead, 4-2.
- New England College came out of the break with four straight goals, two by Storie, one by Hacking and one by Richard to take a six point lead before Katon scored back-to-back goals to bring the Saints back to within four, 8-4.
- To end the first half, the Pilgrims' Richard scored a goal assisted by Zach Conti (Groton, Mass.) with only one second remaining in the half to head into the break up, 9-4.
- New England College was able to control the third quarter, outscoring the Saints 3-1 as Emmanuel's Sam Ward (Hampstead, N.H.) scored on a man up opportunity, Saints behind 12-5.
- The Pilgrims were able to tally on five more goals in the first half of the last quarter before Steve Gervasio (Johnston, R.I.) and Jonathan Ahern (Arlington, Mass.) scored the final two goals for the Saints, finishing the night with a final score 17-7.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- New England College ended the evening owning a 31-15 advantage in shots on goal.
- Senior Michael Sousa (Cranston, R.I.) of the Saints became the program leader in faceoff wins, winning 12 on the night.
- Richard finished the night with a game high 10 points recording six goals and four assists.
- Junior goalie William Platt (San Francisco, Calif.) earned the win in goal making 8 stops for the Pilgrims while EC senior goalie Austin Rosenberg (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) made 14 saves in net for the Saints.
- Emmanuel returns to action tomorrow, Saturday April 14th when they host Anna Maria College in GNAC action at 3:00 PM.
- New England College is back on Wednesday, April 18th at home against NAC rival Green Mountain College at 4:00PM.