Scores: Mount Ida College, 15; Emmanuel College, 9
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (1-9, 1-4 GNAC)
Mount Ida College Mustangs (5-6, 4-0 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Wednesday, April 10, 2018
THE LEAD: Senior midfielder Marcus Donahue (Braintree, Mass.) scored five goals to go along with an assist to power the Mount Ida College men's lacrosse team over host Emmanuel College, 15-9, Wednesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mustangs raced out to a 3-0 lead in the first period behind scores from Donahue, juniors Eric Walker (Newington, Conn.) and Kyle Ton (Norwich, Conn.) and never looked back.
- Emmanuel closed the first quarter strong as junior Matt Katon (East Falmouth, Mass.) and senior Charlie Moran (Maitland, Fla.) netted back-to-back goals to cut the lead to 3-2 but they would never get the equalizer.
- Mount Ida put the game out of reach with five consecutive goals to open the second quarter, building up an 8-2 lead with 5:57 to play in the half. Donahue and freshman Mike Alibrandi (Holliston, Mass.) scored two each in the spurt while sophomore Dakari Eason (Norwalk, Conn.) netted the other.
- EC junior Steve Gervasio (Johnston, R.I.) broke up the Ida spurt with his fifth marker of the season to cut the lead to 8-3 but junior Adam Lavallee (Pawtucket, R.I.) got it right back for the Mustangs with his third goal of the season to give Mount Ida a 9-3 cushion heading into halftime.
- The Saints made up some ground in the third, outscoring the Mustangs by a 3-2 margin on goals by junior Ben Hartig-Orr (Reading, Vt.), Katon and freshman Charles Stutzenberger (Plymouth, Mass.) to make it 11-6 heading into the final stanza.
- Ida junior Matt Curran (Abington, Mass.) and Eason crushed any chance of a fourth quarter comeback for the hosts, scoring early in the final quarter to make it a 13-6 score.
- Stutzenberger netted an unassisted marker to make it 13-7 before Katon rattled off back-to-back goals to make it a four-goal game at 13-9 with 4:47 left but Eason and Donahue closed the door with scores in the final 4:35 to account for the 15-9 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mount Ida ended the evening owning a 50-36 advantage in shots.
- Despite the loss, the Saints dominated the faceoff action, winning 18 or 27 attempts with senior Michael Sousa (Cranston, R.I.) being credited with all 18 faceoff wins.
- Katon finished the game with a team-high five points on four goals and one assist for the Saints.
- Senior goalie Cam Hayward (Derry, N.H.) earned the win in goal making 13 stops for the Mustangs while EC senior goalie Austin Rosenberg (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) made 12 saves in net for the Saints.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Friday, April 13 when they host New England College in non-conference action at 7:00 PM.
- Mount Ida is back on Saturday, April 14 heading to Northfield, Vt. for a GNAC affair with Norwich University at 1:00 PM.