STANDISH, Maine – Emmanuel College (1-8, 1-2 GNAC) rallied from a 6-1 deficit to defeat Saint Joseph's College (4-7, 0-3 GNAC), 13-7, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men's lacrosse contest at the SJC Athletics Complex on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Saint Joseph's held a 5-1 lead after the first quarter and junior Tyler Retalic (Framingham, Mass.) scored off a Glenn Dion (Pembroke, N.H.) feed to extend his team's lead to 6-1 with 9:25 remaining in the second stanza. Emmanuel then came to life, netting 11 unanswered goals en route to securing a 12-6 lead with 13:05 left in the fourth frame.
Junior Michael Finn (Quincy, Mass.) and Saints senior Charlie Moran (Maitland, Fla.) traded goals in the final nine minutes of play to account for the 13-7 final.
SJC senior Connor Trainor (Franklin, Mass.) made four saves in the loss while Emmanuel senior Austin Rosenberg (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) tallied 12 stops and picked up seven ground balls for the visitors.
Saint Joseph's held a 36-29 edge in shots while Emmanuel posted advantages in face-off wins (17-6) and ground balls (38-23) on the evening. The Monks committed 16 turnovers and went 15-17 on clear attempts while the Saints coughed up the ball 23 times while clearing successfully on 13 of 18 tries.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
· Finn scored three goals with a pair of ground balls
· Dion added a goal and an assist with three ground balls
· Retalic netted a pair of goals on eight shots
· Sophomore Shane Fors (Kalamazoo, Mich.) picked up four ground balls and won six face-offs
· Senior Liam Skinner (Irving, Texas) scooped up six ground balls
LEADERS – EMMANUEL:
· Freshman Jonathan Ahern (Arlington, Mass.) tallied three goals, two assists, and four ground balls
· Junior Ben Hartig-Orr (Reading, Vt.) scored three goals with an assist and a pair of ground balls
· Moran and sophomore Alex Flanagan (Westford, Mass.) chipped in with two goals apiece
· Senior Michael Sousa (Cranston, R.I.) picked up 13 ground balls and won 16 of 21 face-off attempts
With the loss, Saint Joseph's falls to 2-6 in the history of the series with Emmanuel College and has now dropped six-consecutive games to the Saints.
Both teams return to conference action on Saturday, when Saint Joseph's plays at Johnson & Wales University and Emmanuel travels to Rivier University. Both GNAC games are set to begin at 4:00 PM.
*Release courtesy of Saint Joseph's College (ME) Sports Information