Score: Norwich University, 11; Emmanuel College, 7
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (0-6, 0-1 GNAC)
Norwich University Cadets (4-3, 1-0 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2018
THE LEAD: Norwich University erased a late first half deficit to come from behind and defeat host Emmanuel College, 11-7, Wednesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference men's lacrosse action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints jumped out to an early 1-0 lead behind a goal from junior Ben Hartig-Orr (Reading, Vt.) but the Cadets answered with two quick scores from senior Josh Jenkins (Centennial Colo.) and junior Cody Moore (Canton, N.Y.) to pull ahead 2-1 midway through the first.
- EC's Matt Katon (East Falmouth, Mass.) evened the score at 2-2 but the Cadets regained the lead with a man-up score by Ian Kennedy (Gloucester, Mass.) with 1:45 to in the quarter to take a 3-2 lead into the second period.
- Junior Steven Gervasio (Johnston, R.I.) evened the score at 3-all with his first goal of the quarter at 11:06 before giving Emmanuel a 4-3 lead with 2:24 left to play in the half.
- Emmanuel appeared to have the momentum heading in the break and with the ball in their own box, called a timeout with 31 seconds left in the half to try and add to the lead but a costly turnover out of the timeout gave the Cadets the call and Jenkins made them pay, scoring his second goal of the game with just five seconds left in the quarter to tie the score at 4-4 and shift momentum to the visitors.
- Norwich netted the first two goals in the third quarter on scores by Jack Anzalone (Ridgewood, N.J.) to take the lead for good.
- Early in the fourth, Ian Kennedy made it a three score game for the Cadets at 8-5 before EC senior Charlie Moran (Maitland, Fla.) and Katon scored consecutive tallies to pull the hosts back to within one at 8-7 with 8:46 to play.
- NU answered with its ninth goal of the action by Cody Moore (Canton, N.Y.) to bump the lead to 9-7 before Jenkins added an insurance goal with 6:28 to play to make it 10-7.
- Kennedy capped the scoring with his 15th goal of the season as time expired to account for the 11-7 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Jenkins led all players with five points on three goals and two assists.
- Moran, Gervasio and Katon all ended the game with two scores each for Emmanuel while Moran added an assist.
- The Cadets owned a 48-33 shots advantage.
- Each team scored two man-up goals in the action with Norwich going 2-for-5 on the man-up while Emmanuel went 2-for-6.
- EC senior goalkeeper Austin Rosenberg (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) finished the night with 18 saves but falls to 0-5 on the year in net.
- NU keeper Ian Kriger (Burlington, Mass.) earned the win playing the second half of the action making seven saves to improve to 4-2 between the pipes.
- Emmanuel is off this weekend and returns to action on Monday, April 2 for another GNAC contest on the road at Regis at 4:00 PM.
- Norwich plays host to Johnson & Wales University on Saturday, March 31 in more GNAC action.