Score: Emmanuel College, 5; Misericordia University, 20
Records: Misericordia University Cougars (3-0); Emmanuel College Saints (0-2)
Location: Clearwater, Fla. – Joe DiMaggio Sports Complex
Date: Monday, March 5, 2018
THE LEAD: Despite a 25-save outing by senior goalie Austin Rosenberg (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.), the Emmanuel College men's lacrosse team fell to Misericordia University by a 20-5 score on Monday evening during Spring Break.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Misericordia jumped out to a 5-0 lead before the Saints got on the board with a man-up goal from senior attack Charlie Moran (Maitland, Fla.) with 2:50 to play in the first to make it 5-1.
- Sophomore Alex Flanagan (Westford, Mass.) netted his first collegiate goal to keep it a four goal game at 6-2 but the Cougars rattled off 11 consecutive goals to pull away with a 17-2 advantage five minutes into the final period.
- Over the final 10 minutes, Emmanuel got goals from junior Sam Ward (Hampstead, N.H.), junior Steve Gervasio (Johnson, R.I.) and a second goal from Flanagan as Misericordia held on for the 20-5 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Rosenberg's 25 saves is a new single-game program record at Emmanuel, breaking the previous record of 20 saves by Cole Scadden in 2016.
- MU's Patrick Kellish led the Cougars with 10 points on six goals and four assists and Chris Fleming added three goals and an assist.
- Sean McSwiggan and Jake Kocovsky both scored two goals.
- Emmanuel senior Michael Sousa (Cranston, R.I.) won 10 faceoffs and grabbed a game-high seven groundballs.
- Ryan Romaine was 10-19 on face-offs and tied with Patrick Newins with a team-high five groundball for Misericordia.
- The Cougars outshot the Saints by a 60-26 margin.
- The game had a total of 27 penalties.
- The Saints take on DeSales on Thursday at 10:00 AM at the Philipp Jones Stadium in Clearwater, Fla.
- The Cougars will face St. John Fisher, Thursday at 1:00 PM in Clearwater, Fla.