Score: Suffolk University 311, Emmanuel College 313, Elms College 313, Fisher College DQ
Location: Williams J. Devine Golf Course at Franklin Park – Boston, Mass.
Date: Wednesday, September 27, 2017
The Lead: Suffolk University edged host Emmanuel College and Elms College at the Emmanuel Invitational played Wednesday afternoon at the Williams J. Devine Golf Course at Franklin Park. The Rams fired a 311 team score while the Saints and Blazers carded 313's to tie for a second place.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Elms junior James Shalhoup (North Easton, Mass.) earned medalist honors with a low-round of 70 for the Blazers.
- The Suffolk trio of Owen Boggini (Tolland, Conn.), Patrick Hennessy (East Haven, Conn.) and Steven Ferrante (Peabody, Mass.) all posted scores of 75 to help the Rams take home the team title.
- Emmanuel junior David Byrne (Newport, R.I.) finished with a team-best 73, posting a 34 on the front and a 39 on the back.
- EC senior Colin Cordero (Bolton, Conn.) and junior Anthony Springthorpe (Swampscott, Mass.) turned in cards of 79 and 78, respectively.
- Sophomores Taylor Kieselback (Simsbury, Conn.) and Jack Scavone (Auburn, Mass.) rounded out the Emmanuel squad with scores of 83 and 85.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The William J. Devine course was under repair and played as a 17-hole par 66 with the eighth hole entirely offline for the match.
- The Emmanuel team score of 313 is their low of the 2017 season and is unofficially the lowest team score in program history in a match.
- Byrne's 73 was a new unofficial career-low.
- Fisher only had two golfers compete in the match and was disqualified from the team competition despite Cooper Lewis (Littleton, Mass.) and Dan Robbins (Saugus, Mass.) shooting an 84 and 95.
- Emmanuel returns to action next Tuesday when they return to William J. Devine Golf Course for the Saints Invitational where they'll welcome Dean, Fisher and Mitchell for another quad match.