Score: Springfield College, 87; Emmanuel College, 83
Records: Springfield College Pride (4-0); Emmanuel College Saints (2-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, November 16, 2019
THE LEAD: The EC Men's Tip-Off Classic ended in a nail-biter as visiting Springfield College took the victory, 87-83, led by Jake Ross (Northampton, Mass.) and a double-double by Heath Post (Cheshire, Conn.), while the Saints pushed fantastic play by junior guard Zachary Crisafulli (Easthampton, Mass.)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Zachary Crisafulli (Easthampton, Mass.) scored the first twelve points for the Saints in the early minutes of the game, taking the lead against the Pride single handedly before Jake Ross (Northampton, Mass.) and Daryl Costa matched three-point shots to take a 19-14 lead seven minutes into the game.
- The Pride was able to extend the lead to ten through the middle of the half as Harper Niven (Nashua, N.H.) and Heath Post (Cheshire, Conn.) began to own below the basket, but the Saints continued to push within range as Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.) and Jack Moulder (Newtown, Conn.) hit back to back shots behind the arc, 32-28.
- Both teams finished out the half with strong play in the paint, as the Pride's Ross and Collin Lindsay (East Longmeadow, Mass.) connected below the rim while the Saints' Fox and Crisafulli battled to score their own in the paint closing out the half with Springfield up by two, 46-44.
- EC took their first lead of the second half as Fox made a jump shot and Gio Ciampa (Tewksbury, Mass.), but the Pride continued to be relentless with three pointers by Daryl Costa (Providence, R.I.) and Ross to take back the lead, 64-57.
- Springfield was able to extend the lead back to ten after two defensive stops and back to back shots by Post and Ross, 72-62, with eight and a half minutes left in regulation. Both teams battled through the next three minutes of play but the Saints closed the lead to single digits after a made three point jump shot by Emmett Riddick (Middletown, Conn.) and a layup by Fox, 78-73.
- In the final two minutes of play, Fox backed down a Pride defender to connect on a layup but Ross ran the floor and matched with a shot behind the arc of his own to hold onto the five point lead. Springfield fouled Giampa who connected on two free throws with a 1:12 left on the clock, but the Pride's defense contained the Saints to close the game, 87-83.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Springfield's Jake Ross led the evening with his second game-high double-double of the EC Classic with 31 points and 13 rebounds, along with eight assists, three blocks and a steal. Teammate Heath Post also recorded a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds.
- Crisafulli continued his scoring trend with a team-high 23 points, seven rebounds, three assists and two steals. Fellow Saint Fox recorded a double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds.
- Springfield will head back west for a non-conference matchup against Becker College on Tuesday, November 19th at 7PM.
- Emmanuel will be back on the road on Wednesday, November 20th for a non-conference contest against Curry College at 5:30PM.