Score: Colby Sawyer College, 83; Emmanuel College, 90
Records: Colby Sawyer College Chargers (13-13, 7-4 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (18-7, 8-3 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, February 19th, 2019
THE LEAD: The guard duo of Emmett Riddick (Middletown, Conn.) and Joe Tamburro (So. Windsor, Conn.) combined for 47 points and nine of the 17 total assists for the No. 4 Emmanuel College Saints in a quarterfinal Great Northeast Athletic Conference victory over the No. 5 Colby-Sawyer Chargers, 90-83, Tuesday evening on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Chargers were able to go up by ten points early in the first half with triples by junior forward Patrick Coffey and sophomore guard Jake Carrier (Manchester, N.H.), but the Saint's sophomore trio of Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.), Zachary Crisafulli (Easthampton, Mass.) and Jack Moulder (Newtown, Conn.) all hit shots to close the lead to two, down 15-13.
- While Colby-Sawyer continued to own the paint through the first half with dominant play by big men Dana Bean (Franklin, N.H.) and KJ Synvrit (Miami, Fla.), the Saints continued to utilize the hot hand with efficient play by seniors Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill, Mass.) and Joe Tamburro (So. Windsor, Conn.,) tying the game with five and a half minutes left in the half, 29-29.
- The Saints were finally able to take the lead after Ruffen collected an offensive rebound and finished with a layup, 31-29, but the Chargers' offensive power in the paint kept them even with EC through the remainder of the first half closing out tied at 40 apiece.
- Colby-Sawyer scored the first four points of the half, but Emmanuel came back to score eight in a row, five of which were scored by junior guard Emmett Riddick (Middletown, Conn.), 48-44, but EC's momentum couldn't change the game plan of the Chargers' below the basket strength, keeping the game close, 54-53.
- The Saints upperclassmen took charge through the middle of the second half with Riddick and Tamburro attacking the rim despite the size of the Charger's forwards, 71-65, but a triple by Terrence Harvey Jr. (Smyrna, Ga.) and layup by Bean kept Colby Sawyer close with four minutes left in the game, 75-72.
- Both teams were in the double bonus late in the game, sending both teams to the free throw line often, but late game shots by Riddick and Crisafulli sent the Saints to the Great Northeast Athletic Conference semi-final, 90-83.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Riddick recorded a team-high 26 points along with three rebounds and four assists, going an almost perfect 11-12 from the free throw line.
- Coffey finished with a game-high 28 points for the Chargers with four rebounds, four steals and two assists
- With tonight's victory, EC recorded the second most wins in a season in program history with 18 wins.
- While the season is over for the Chargers, the Emmanuel College Saints will be on the road on Thursday for the Great Northeast Athletic Conference semi-final contest against Albertus Magnus College. The top-seeded Falcons topped No. 8 Lasell in their quarterfinal meeting, 99-79