Score: St. Joseph College of Maine, 87; Emmanuel College, 101
Records: St. Joseph College of Maine Monks (15-5, 5-2 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (15-5, 6-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, February 2nd, 2019
THE LEAD: Senior Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn.) wrote himself into the Emmanuel College Men's Basketball record books as he scored his 1,000th career point with a 21-point game, leading the Saints to a very important Great Northeast Athletic Conference victory against the Saint Joseph's Monks on Saturday, February 2nd on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first few minutes of play started slow for both sides until the Saints started to come alive as sophomores Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.) and Zachary Crisafulli (Hatfield, Mass.) attacked the interior of the Monks defense, which in turned opened up the long ball for the Saints later in the first frame with Jack Moulder (Newtown, Conn.), Blake Hardy (Waterbury, Conn.) and Fox connecting on shots behind the arc to extend the lead, 23-9.
- St. Joes began to close the lead with eight minutes left in the half by going on a 10-3 run, led by senior guard Darian Berry's (Rochester, N.Y) efficient shooting and Marc Corey (Londonderry, N.H), 26-19, and was able to continue to close the gap to a five point game until the Saints sparked another offensive push as senior guard Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn) connected from behind the arc to score his 1,001 career point and pushed EC into break ahead, 46-28.
- Both teams went shot for shot early in the half but EC was able to keep the lead with continued efficiency on off balance shots by junior guard Emmett Riddick (Middlebury, Conn.) and strong moves in the paint by Crisafulli to extend the lead to a game high 23 point gap, but the Monks wouldn't quit and scored six points in a row halfway through the second to close the lead, 76-61.
- Jack Casale (Portland, Maine) connected on shots from behind the arc for the Monks to continue closing the gap with under ten minutes remaining on the clock, but Riddick and Tamburro were able to do the same soon thereafter which propelled the Saints towards a 14-point victory, 101-87.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Riddick recorded a game-high 28 points, matching his previous season high which was also against Saint Joseph's Monks, and also collected two steals and three assists.
- The Monks were led by Casale who recorded a team-high double-double with 22 points and 15 rebounds, along with three assists and a block.
- EC was able to shoot at a fifty percent rate from the field and recorded the second-best rate from behind the arc on the season, connecting on 48 percent of the efforts.
- The Monks will be back on the road on Tuesday, February 5th at 7:00PM to Great Northeast Athletic Conference newcomer Colby-Sawyer College.
- EC will also be on the road on Tuesday, February 5th to face cross-town rival Suffolk University at 7:00PM.