Score: Rivier University, 67; Emmanuel College, 82
Records: Rivier University Raiders (1-12, 0-1 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (9-4, 1-0 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Sunday, January 6th, 2019
THE LEAD: The EC Saints captured their first Great Northeast Athletic Conference victory on Sunday, January 6th on the Andy Yosinoff Court at Emmanuel College behind a perfect performance at the free throw line by Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.) and a double-double by Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill, Mass.), 82-67.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both squads started the game with quick shots in the paint before Emmanuel went on an early run to take a 9-2 lead, highlighted by sophomore guard Jack Moulder's (Newtown, Conn.) first three-pointer of the game.
- The Saints were able to keep a commanding lead through the 13 minute mark with sophomore Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.) commanding the paint, before the Raiders were able to close the gap to two as Jake Santiago (Manchester, N.H.) scored or assisted on seven points in a minute and a half stretch, 21-19.
- Senior Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn.) came off of the bench for the final five minutes of the first half and scored six points off of a made shot from behind the arc and free throws as the Saints were able to extend the lead heading into break, 37-28.
- Rivier was able to stay within nine points of the Saints through the beginning of the second half as Issaiah Chappell (Sunapee, N.H.) took control of the Raiders' offense before Emmett Riddick (Middletown, Conn.) and Moulder connected on daggers to extend the lead for the Saints, 61-44.
- EC closed out the game with many opportunities from the free throw line, highlighted by Fox, freshman Anthony Davidson (Annapolis, Md.) and senior Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill, Mass.) to post the first GNAC victory of the season, 82-67.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Chappell of the Raiders closed out the day with a game-high 22 points, along with five rebounds and three assists while Fox of the Saints collected 20 points of his own, along with eight rebounds and two assists.
- Fox tied an Emmanuel College record on the afternoon, shooting a perfect 10-10 from the free throw line.
- Four out of five starters for the Saints were able to score double-digits while Chappell was the only Raider to score over ten points.
- EC owned the boards on the afternoon out-rebounding the Raiders 56-25, 16 of which were collected by Ruffen, along with his 12 points on the day.
- The Raiders will be at home on Thursday, January 10th for another Great Northeast Athletic Conference matchup against the Lasell Lasers at 6PM.
- Emmanuel will be looking for their second conference victory on Thursday, January 10th on the road at the University of Saint Joseph (CT) at 7PM.