Score: Emerson 95, Emmanuel 85
Records: Emerson Lions (4-3) ; Emmanuel Saints (3-3)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: November 29, 2018
The Lead: Emerson staved off a comeback effort from the Saints of Emmanuel College as junior Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) totaled 31 points to lead the Lions to victory at Brown & Plofker Gym.
BY THE NUMBERS
- O'Connor paced all players on the court with 31 points on 10-21 shooting from the floor with five three pointers made. He grabbed eight rebounds to pair with his 31 points.
- O'Connor was one of four Lions in double figures. Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) was the second high scorer with 20 points. Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) scored 15 off the bench and Jarred Houston (Norwood, Mass.) totaled 11 in 23 minutes.
- The Lions were efficient from the charity stripe, only missing two of their 20 attempts on the night. Emmanuel was strong in this category as well, missing three of 20.
- In the first half, Emerson was lights out from three, shooting 71.4% (10-14) in the first frame.
- Emmanuel had three players eclipse the ten point mark. Sophomore Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.) led the Saints with 19 points and freshman Giovanni Ciampa (Tewksbury, Mass.) and junior Emmett Riddick (Middletown, Conn.) had 14 and 13 respectively.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel took the lead at 2-0 on a Fox layup, giving them the opening points of the game.
- The teams traded baskets and Emerson took the lead at 5-2 and never gave up the lead again in the game.
- After opening up an 11-10 lead, Emerson went on a 15-2 run to expand their lead to 13 points at 26-13.
- The Lions kept Emmanuel at bay through good three point shooting, and took a 25 points lead into the half at 59-34.
- Coming out of the break, Emerson continued their strong shooting and kept their lead over 20 in the first eight minutes of the half.
- Emmanuel made a strong run, cutting the lead to 11 with just under five minutes remaining at 83-72.
- Emmanuel continued to push, cutting the lead to give on a Ciampa layup with 1:48 remaining on the clock.
- Nate Martin (Great Falls, Va.) hit a crucial three pointer from the elbow out of the timeout to bring Emerson's lead back to 8.
- A late push by Emmanuel was held off once again, and Emerson walked away victorious at 95-85.
- Emerson travels to Amerst, Mass. on Saturday, December 1st to take on the Mammoths of Amherst College at 2:00 PM.
- Emmanuel is also back in action this Saturday, heading to Nashua, N.H. to face Rivier University in a non-conference affair at 1:00 PM.
*Release courtesy of Emerson College Athletic Communications