Score: Westfield State University, 88; Emmanuel College, 89
Records: Westfield State Owls (3-4); Emmanuel College Saints (3-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2018
THE LEAD: Despite a 37-point performance by Westfield State's Jauch Green Jr. (Hartford, Conn.), the Saints were able to collect an overtime win as Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.) and Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn.) pushed Emmanuel to a victory on Tuesday evening, 89-88.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first ten minutes of play began with a quick jump ahead by the Owls as Marcus Collins (Cambridge, Mass.) scored seven points in the first four minutes of play, 9-5, but EC came back as Jack Moulder (Newtown, Conn.) and Emmett Riddick (Middletown, Conn.) connected on shots from behind the arc to bring the Saints ahead 23-17.
- EC continued their hardnosed defense through the remainder of the half causing seven turnovers by the Owls, along with strong offensive play by Riddick and senior guard Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill, Mass.) to close out the half, 40-27.
- The Owls came out of the break in a full court press to slow the Saints down, causing 13 turnovers within the first six minutes of play, highlighted by steals and baskets by sophomore forward Justin Rennis (Springfield, Mass.) and junior forward Jauch Green Jr. (Hartford, Conn.), taking back the lead 46-51.
- The momentum of the Owls was cut as EC's senior guard Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn.) drained a three-pointer to tie the game at 51 apiece as the Saints continued to their offensive push led by sophomore forward Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.), 68-64.
- Westfield was able to take the lead with two and a half minutes remaining in the game as Collins connected on a layup, 68-69, but both teams battled for the remainder of the second half including EC's Fox recording two late half layups, to force overtime, 74-74.
- The Owls struck first in overtime as Green connected on a layup in only six seconds, but Riddick was able to match the dominance in the paint, forcing the Owls to foul and connecting for an and-one with only 22 seconds left in the game, leading the Saints to an 89-88 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Green of the Owls led the night for both teams with 37 points, five rebounds, three assists, two steals and a block.
- Tamburro led the Saints with 20 points off the bench, while Fox recorded a double-double, scoring 17 points and 16 rebounds.
- The Owls' starters combined for 70 of the total 88 points, while the Saints bench was able to provide strong offensive support, combining for 50 of the Saints 89 points.
- EC was incredibly strong on the boards, outrebounding the Owls 50-31.
- Westfield State will be back on the road on Saturday, December 1st to play Elms College at 3:00 PM.
- The Saints only have one day to rest before heading to crosstown opponent Emerson College on Thursday, November 29th at 7:00 PM.