Score: Dean College, 71; Emmanuel College, 72
Records: Dean College Bulldogs (0-1); Emmanuel College Saints (1-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2018
THE LEAD: Led by a balanced offensive attack that saw five players in double-figures, the Emmanuel College men's basketball team erased a 12-point halftime deficit to come-from-behind and top Dean College, 72-71, Thursday evening in non-conference action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After falling behind 6-0 to open the game, the Saints put together a 7-0 spurt capped with a three pointer by sophomore Jack Moulder (Newtown, Conn.) to take a brief 7-6 lead early in the first half. It would be the hosts only lead of the period as Dean would go on to shoot 51.7% from the field in the stanza to take a 41-29 lead heading into the break, powered by eight points from senior forward Armani Baker (Pawtucket, R.I.) on a perfect 2-for-2 from the field and 4-for-4 performance from the free throw line.
- The Bulldogs maintained a double-digit lead until EC sophomore swingman Zachary Crisafulli (Hatfield, Mass.) converted and old-fashion three point play to pull the Saints to within nine at 45-36 with 16:26 to play.
- The squads traded hoops until the 13-minute marker when the Emmanuel comeback started with an 8-0 run fueled by four points from freshman guard Anthony Davidson (Annapolis, Md.) to make it a one-possession game at 51-49 Dean with 10:38 left in the half.
- A fast break layup by sophomore forward Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.) tied that game at 53-53 before senior Joe Tamburro put the Saints ahead with a triple to make it 56-53 with less than eight minutes to play. The Saints never trailed from that point in the action on but Dean made it an exciting finish, tying the game up four times down the stretch at 60, 62, 64 and 66.
- Fox put Emmanuel on top for good with a layup with 1:14 left in regulation and following a defensive stop, a put back layup by Davidson with 23 seconds remaining made it a two possession game at 70-66, EC.
- After quickly trading baskets, Dean junior guard Jordan Booker (Waterbury, Conn.) connected on a three in transition to cut the lead to 72-71 with less than 10 seconds to play. A quick foul put the Saints at the line but two misses in the double-bonus allowed the Bulldogs for a chance to take the lead. Dean came down but was unable to get a shot off for the win, turning the ball over with one second left on the clock resulting in the 72-71 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Fox led the Saints with a double-double of 16 points and 12 rebounds while senior guard Isaish Ruffen (Haverhill, Mass.) also collected a double-double of 12 points and 11 boards.
- Booker led all scorers with 19 points on an 8-for-17 shooting performance for Dean while Baker chipped in with 14 points.
- Crisafulli and Davidson each finished with 13 points a piece for Emmanuel while Moulder rounded out the Saints in double-figures with 10 points.
- Dean senior guard Dayvon Russell (Naugatuck, Conn.) was one rebound shy of a double-double with 11 points and nine boards.
- The Saints owned a commanded 52-27 rebounding advantage in the win including 21 offensive boards.
- EC also made 28 trips to the charity stripe, converting 19 of them compared to only nine attempts from Dean who finished 6-for-9 from the line.
- Emmanuel outscored Dean 24-2 in second-chance points and also owned a 21-11 advantage in bench points.
- The win marks the first Head Coaching victory for Emmanuel's Danny Lawson who is in his first year at the helm.
- Dean College will be hosting the Bulldog Tip-Off Tournament this weekend, playing Pine Manor College to begin the tournament on Saturday, November 17th at 12:00 PM.
- EC has the weekend to recover before hosting Curry College on Tuesday, November 20th at 5:00 PM at the Andy Yosinoff Court.