Score: Johnson & Wales University, 66; Emmanuel College, 73
Records: Johnson & Wales University Wildcats (7-7, 4-2 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (2-13, 1-5 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, January 16, 2018
THE LEAD: Junior guard Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn.) scored a season and game-high 25 points to help Emmanuel College snap an 11-game losing streak with a 73-66 win over Johnson & Wales University Tuesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference men's basketball action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tamburro started the Saints off in the first minute of play scoring his first three points from behind the arc over a Wildcat defender.
- Both teams battled back and forth for the next nine minutes before the Wildcats were able to extend their lead to a game-high seven points (21-14) off of a three-pointer made by Donovian Maxfield (York, Pa.).
- The Saints battled back to stay within two before taking the lead at 30-28 on a made layup by Tamburro with four minutes to go in the opening half.
- Johnson & Wales was able to take over the lead by the half with a pair of layups made by Bryan Hogan-Gary (Staten Island, N.Y.) and Randall Ferdinand (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) to give the visitors a 34-33 edge at the break.
- Both teams continued to put on the pressure defensively into the second half with each team causing turnovers within the first three minutes of play.
- Nate Patenude (Smithfield, R.I.) began to control the offensive board for the Wildcats to take the lead 38-37.
- The teams battled back and forth for the next ten minutes of play before the Saints took the lead for good following a layup by senior captain Colin Cordero (Bolton, Conn.) at 41-39.
- Emmanuel continued to extend their lead to eleven after a pair of free throws by Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill, Mass.) with 8:32 to play in the contest.
- The Saints kept control of the game for the next three minutes until Ferdinand took control of the Wildcat offense, closing the lead to five points (65-60) with 2:29 to play.
- JWU was unable to get any closer and a pair of Cordero free throws down the stretch sealed the 73-66 win for EC.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tamburro led the scoring attack yet again for the Saints with a game-high 25 points, along with four assists and two rebounds.
- Ferdinand shot 67.0 percent on the night leading the way for the Wildcats, scoring 22 points along with six rebounds and two assists.
- The Saints outscored the Wildcats from the free throw line 14-8, getting to the line a total of 16 times.
- Emmanuel's bench was able to contribute a total of 21 points, outscoring Johnson & Wales's bench by 12.
- The Wildcats host 19th ranked Wesleyan University this Thursday, January 18th at 7:30 PM.
- Emmanuel looks to remain in the win column visiting Suffolk University this Thursday, January 18th at 7:00PM in more GNAC action.