Score: Emerson College, 88; Emmanuel College, 68
Records: Emerson College Lions (5-1); Emmanuel College Saints (1-4)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, November 30, 2017
THE LEAD: Junior guard Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) scored a season-high 31 points to power visiting Emerson College to a 95-81 victory over Emmanuel College Thursday evening in non-conference men's basketball action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints jumped out to an early 10-5 lead following a pair of free throws by sophomore guard Emmett Riddick (Middletown, Mass.) just 2:57 into the contest.
- Trailing 16-15, Emerson put together a key 11-0 run midway through the first half to build a 26-16 lead fueled by five points from Gray.
- With 5:37 to play in the first half, a layup by Mac Sashin (Martha's Vineyard, Mass.) gave the Lions their largest lead of the night at 38-22.
- Over the final five minutes of the frame, Emmanuel closed the gap to a five point deficit to make it 47-42 heading into the halftime intermission.
- Emmanuel's defensive pressure forced several Emerson turnovers early in the second frame before the hosts regained the lead with 14:13 remaining on a layup by Riddick to give the Saints a 56-55 advantage.
- The squads traded hoops to a 62-62 score before a Gray free throw with 10:30 on the clock keyed a 12-0 run to give the Lions the lead for good en route to the 95-81 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gray recorded both a game high in points and rebounds, scoring 31 and cleaning up 11 boards for the Lions.
- With his third 20+ point game in a row, Riddick led the Saints offense with 25 points, along with a team high six assists and seven rebounds.
- Emerson starting guards Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) and Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) each scored 18 points along with a combined nine assists.
- Junior Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn.), senior Colin Cordero (Bolton, Conn.) and junior Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill, Mass.) were all in double-figures for Emmanuel with 16, 11 and 10, respectively.
- Both teams were in early foul trouble, combining for 38 total fouls on the night.
- The Lions continue to own the series lead now with a 20-9 all-time record over Emmanuel.
- The Lions will host undefeated Amherst College on Saturday, December 2nd at 2:00 PM.
- Emmanuel begins GNAC conference play on Saturday, December 2nd at 3:30 PM at home against Mount Ida College.