Score: Wesleyan University, 88; Emmanuel College, 68
Records: Wesleyan University Cardinals (5-0); Emmanuel College Saints (1-3)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, November 28, 2017
THE LEAD: Even with a combined 48 points from Emmanuel College guards Emmett Riddick (Middletown, CT) and Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, CT), the Wesleyan University men's basketball team posted an 88-68 road win led by 21 points from junior guard Jordan Bonner (Houston, TX) on Tuesday evening at the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half began with a pair of matching three pointers by Wesleyan's Bonner and Emmanuel's Tamburro.
- The Cardinals were able to go on a 12-0 run in the first half, taking up almost five minutes of the game clock to pull ahead 24-7.
- Riddick began the comeback late in the first half to get the Saints back within 10 points to end the first with a score of 43-33.
- The Saints came out of the break strong with a 7-0 run by Tamburro, Riddick, and Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill, MA) to get within three (43-40) before Wesleyan's Nathan Krill (Saint Helena, CA) killed the run with a three-pointer of his own.
- Wesleyan senior forward JR Bascom took the wind out of the Saints mid-way through the second half with a three-point play off of a made layup and free throw to put the Cardinals on top 60-48.
- Wesleyan was able to keep at least a double-figure lead for the last ten minutes of the game, finishing off the Saints to stay perfect in the early goings of the 2017-18 slate.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Riddick averaged almost a point per minute with a game and career high of 27 points, four rebounds, and four assists.
- Three of the five starting Cardinals finished the game with double digit points, combining for 49 of the 88 points.
- Kevin O'Brien (Tucson, AZ) of the Cardinals provided his teammates with many open looks, totaling for a game high of nine assists.
- Wesleyan controlled the boards all night out rebounding the Saints, 46-31.
- The yearly meeting of the Saints and Cardinals continues to trend with Wesleyan winning eleven out of twelve contests.
- The Cardinals head to NESCAC rival Williams College on Saturday, December 2nd at 6:00 PM.
- Emmanuel hosts Emerson College on Thursday, November 30th at 7:00 PM before starting their GNAC conference schedule on Saturday, December 2nd at 3:30PM at Emmanuel.