Location: Cambridge, Mass.
Meet Host: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Date: Saturday, April 21st, 2018
THE LEAD: On Saturday, April 21st, the Saint's outdoor track & field teams participated in the Sean Collier Invitational at MIT, where Chelsea Smith (Manchester, Conn.) was able to punch her ticket to the New England Championship with her time in the 200 meter race and thirteen other Saints recorded personal bests in varying events.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- First-year Smith finished in third place in the 200 meter with a finishing time of 25.91, which qualified her for the New England Championship and broke her own previous school record.
- Pearl Vercruysee (Oak Bluffs, Mass.) led the way for the women's team, with her second place finish in the 1500 meter race and set a new school record in the 800 meter race with a time of 2:22.32.
- Sophomore Carolyn Richardson (Kenebunk, Maine) achieved personal bests in three events, in the long jump with her jump of 15'2.25", and in the 200 and 400 meter races.
- On the men's side, Patrick Carty (Sweden, Maine) started off the day for the Saints by dropping ten seconds off of his steeplechase time, finishing in second place with a time of 10:10.73.
- Senior tri-captain Francisco Tavares (Boston, Mass.) was able to record a second place finish in the 400 meter race and also recorded a new personal best in the 200 meter with a 23.13 finish.
- The Saints will return to action on Sunday, April 29th in the Great Northeast Championship in Weston, Mass. beginning at 10 AM.