Location: Northampton, Mass.
Meet Host: Smith College
Date: Saturday, April 7th, 2018
THE LEAD: On Saturday, April 7th, the Saint's outdoor track & field teams participated in the Smith College Invitational, where seven different Emmanuel College student-athletes placed within the top seven in their respective races, including first-year Pearl Vercruysse (Oak Bluffs, Mass.) first place run in the 1500 meter race.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- First-year Vercruysse finished in first place in the 1500 meter with a finishing time of 4:58.69, and also finished in third place in the 800 meter race with a time of 2:29.43 for the Saints.
- Chelsea Smith (Manchester, Conn.) was able to record a new outdoor school record in the 200 meter race with her fourth place finish in 26.58.
- On the men's side, Jake Cavanaugh (Redding, Conn.) finished in second place in the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 17.56 and also finished in third place right in front of teammate Trevor Hajj (Gilmanton, N.H.) in the 400 meter hurdles.
- For the field events, first-year Aidan Sitler (Wethersfield, Conn.) recorded a seventh place finish in the triple jump and junior captain Cara Welsh (Shrewsbury, Mass.) place sixth in the discus throw.
- The Saints will return to action next Friday and Saturday at Conn College's Silfen Invitational. Jackie Schneider (Weymouth, Mass.) will be competing in the Heptathlon and Vercruysse will be competing Friday night while the rest of the team competes Saturday.