SMITH RECORDS TWO FIRST-PLACE FINISHES AT WESLEYAN INVITATIONAL
Location: Middletown, Conn.
Meet Host: Wesleyan University
Date: Saturday, February 3rd, 2018
THE LEAD: On Saturday, February 3rd, the Emmanuel College indoor track & field teams traveled to the Wesleyan University Invitational, where Chelsea Smith (Manchester, Conn.) was the only athlete that was able to record a top-ten time in a race for both the men's and women's teams, with two first place finishes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- First-year Jake Cavanaugh (Redding, Conn.) finished in thirteenth place in the 60 meter hurdles, recording a new personal record of 9.50 in the event.
- Francisco Tavares (Boston, Mass.) was able to finish in thirteenth place in the 600 meter final, with a time of 1:27.92, with teammate Trevor Hajj (East Longmeadow, Mass.) only a few seconds behind finishing in 1:30.97.
- On the women's side, Carolyn Richardson (Kennebunk, Maine) held on to the fourteenth spot in the 600 meter final with a time of 1:55.54 and also competed in the women's long jump with a finish of 11'11.75".
- Jordyn Gonsor (Springfield, Mass.) and Reilly Boyle (Wells, Maine) held on to back to back finished in the women's 800 meter final, with a 2:37.89 and 2:38.29 finish respectively.
- First-year Chelsea Smith continued on her record breaking season with first place finished in both the 200 meter and 400 meter races.
- Smith's time from this week's meet at Wesleyan University in the 400 meter race breaks her own Emmanuel College record as well as places her at twenty-fifth in the country, and seventh in New England.
- Eight different athletes were able to record new personal bests on the weekend.
- On Saturday, February 10th, the Saints travel to MIT in Cambridge, Mass. for the MIT Kelley Invite.