Location: Medford, Mass. – Gantcher Center
Meet Host: Tufts University
Date: Saturday, January 13, 2018
THE LEAD: The freshman duo of Chelsea Smith (Manchester, Conn.) and Pearl Vercruysse (Oak Bluffs, Mass.) combined to set three new program records Saturday afternoon at the Tufts University Invitational at the Gantcher Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Vercruysse opened the day with a school-record performance in the 3,000m event with a second place finish and a time of 10:43.84. Later in the day she posted a new program record in the 800m race with a third place finish time of 2:25.57 which was also good enough to qualify for the New England D-III Championships later in the season.
- Smith, who previously set the 60m school record earlier this season, took down another mark with a 400m time of 60.17 seconds for a first place finish and a time that also qualifies her for the New England D-III Championship. Smith also placed second in the 200m event with a time of 26.81 seconds.
- Jacquelyn Schneider (Weymouth, Mass.) put together a pair of personal bests with a long jump of 15'9.75", good for a seventh place finish while also registering a 4'8.75 leap in the high jump for a new PR.
- Also registering new PR's for the women's squad were Carolyn Richardson (Kenebunk, Maine) and Gianna Kittle (Rocky Hill, Conn.). Richardson ran the 600m race in 2:01.01 for a PR while Kittle threw the shot put 26'9.25" for her new personal best.
- On the men's side, Jake Cavanaugh (Redding, Conn.) also recorded a pair of personal records including an eighth place finish in the 60m hurdles with a time of 9.65 seconds to go along with a PR in the 200m event, clocking in at 24.71 seconds.
- Noah Chagnon (St. Albans, Vt.) ran well in the 3,000m race on the men's side with a PR time of 10:02.55.
- The meet was unscored so there were no team winners on the day, only individual winners.
- Former EC Associate Head Coach Alice Kramer was on site helping coach the Saints during the meet.
- The Saints return to action next weekend when they head to Northampton, Mass. for the Smith College Invitational on Saturday, January 20.