Location: Providence, R.I. – Providence Career & Technical HS
Meet Host: Rhode Island College
Date: Saturday, December 9, 2017
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College indoor track & field team closed out the first semester at the Rhode Island College Invitational meet hosted at the Providence Career & Technical High School. The Saints saw one new school record, three New England D-III qualifying performances as well as 20 new personal bests during the afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Chelsea Smith (Manchester, Conn.) improved on her school-record time from last week in the 60m trials with a time of 8.14 seconds before finishing second in the finals with a time of 8.17 seconds. Julie McConnell (Winthrop, Mass.) also ran a PR in the event with a time of 9.20 seconds.
- Smith also finished third in the 200m race, clocking in at 26.12 seconds while Saara Bliss (Bow, N.H.) ran a PR time of 29.27 seconds in the same event.
- In the men's 200, Jake Cavanaugh (Redding, Conn.) and Conor Coleman (Woodbury, Conn.) posted PR times for the Saints.
- Pearl Vercruysse (Chilmark, MA) picked up a first place finish in the mile race, clocking in at 5:36.06 while Katherine Holmberg (North Easton, Mass.) finished eighth in the race with a time of 5:58.88.
- First-year Trevor Hajj (Derry, NH) ran well in the 600m race with an eighth place finish time of 1:30.34 and also PR'ed in the 60m hurdles with a time of 10.69. Cavanaugh also PR'd in the 60m hurdles with a 10.34 time.
- Stephanie Forester (East Walpole, Mass.) posted a new PR in the 3K race with a time of 11:44.88.
- Both the men's and women's 4X400m relay teams qualified for the New England D-III championship as the men finished third with a time of 3:38.34 and the women in fourth with a time of 4:26.40.
- Jacquelyn Schneider (Weymouth, Mass.), Carolyn Richardson (Kenebunk, Maine) and Carly Jones (Lake Placid, N.Y.) all posted PR's in the long jump with Schneider finishing 6th overall with a leap of 15'6''.
- Cara Welsh (Shrewsbury, Mass.), Shannon Donahue (Manchester, N.H.), Gianna Kittle (Rock Hill, Conn.), Christopher Rosario (Weymouth, Mass.), Trevor McCarthy (East Longmeadow, Mass.) and John Griffin (Thompson, Conn.) all recorded PR throws in the Shot Put event.
- After the first two of the semester, Smith is ranked sixth nationally and second in New England in the 200m race.
- Vercruysee is currently ranked fifth nationally and second in New England in the mile while her 1000m time ranks third best in New England.
- Emmanuel is now idle until Saturday, January 13 when they return from the winter break to race at the Tufts Invitational in Medford, Mass.