Scores: Saint Joseph's College, 3; Emmanuel College, 1
Saint Joseph's College, 8; Emmanuel College, 7
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (12-15, 5-9 GNAC)
Saint Joseph's College Monks (11-13, 7-5 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2018
THE LEAD: The Saint Joseph's College softball came from behind in both games of a Great Northeast Athletic Conference doubleheader against host Emmanuel College to pick up a pair of wins Wednesday evening in GNAC action at Roberto Clemente Field. The Monks earned a 3-1 win in game one and an 8-7 win in game two for the sweep.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints opened the scoring with a run in the bottom of the third to go ahead 1-0. Junior outfielder Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) singles to left field to advance sophomore outfielder Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.). Hoisl came around to score Emmanuel's only run on the play due to an overthrow by the Monks.
- Saint Joseph's got the run right back in the top of the fourth to even the score at 1-1 on an RBI single to left center field by sophomore Maizie Lee (Saco, Maine).
- Lee delivered the go-ahead RBI single to right field in the sixth inning to bump the Monks ahead, 2-1, driving home Melodie Bailey (Lebanon, Maine) for their first lead of the night.
- Freshman Madeline Wood (Madison, Maine) added an insurance run with a solo blast to center field in the seventh to make it a 3-1 score.
- Emmanuel threatened in the bottom of the seventh, loading the bases with two outs but junior pitcher Kristal Smith (Pittston, Maine) was able to work out of the jam to preserve the win and improve to 5-6 on the year in the circle, scattering four hits while striking out four.
- Emmanuel once again jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, plating a run in the first behind an RBI ground out by junior first baseman Ashely Skey (Brookline, N.H.).
- The Monks tied the score in the second with an unearned run to even the game at 1-1 but the Saints answered in the bottom half of the frame to regain the lead on an RBI groundout from Burgos and a second run coming around to score on a wild pitch to make it 3-1, EC.
- Saint Joseph's wasn't rattled and struck for three runs in both the third and fourth innings to build a cushy 7-3 lead.
- In the third, Lee tied the game with a two RBI single to left before coming around to score the go-ahead run on an Emmanuel wild pitch to give SJC the 4-3 lead.
- In the fourth, junior Katie Chadbourne (Jaffrey, N.H.) connected on a two-run homer to bump the lead to 6-3 before Lee continued her hot night with another RBI single to make it a 7-3 game.
- Burgos wouldn't let the game get too far out of reach, blasting a three-run shot of her own in the bottom of the fourth to pull the hosts back to within a run at 7-6.
- The Monks added a huge insurance run in the sixth inning on an RBI single to centerfield by sophomore Kaylee Burns (Saco, Maine) to take an 8-6 lead.
- In the bottom half of the inning, Burgos connected on her second home run of the night, a solo shot to make it a 7-6 contest but Emmanuel was unable to get the equalizer as sophomore pitcher Caitlyn King (Old Town, Maine) came on in relief for the three-inning save.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Lee finished the doubleheader going 5-for-6 with five RBI to power the Monks offense
- Burgos was the only Emmanuel player to collect multiple hits in both games.
- EC junior pitcher Megan Kieselback (Wethersfield, Conn.) was the tough-luck game one loser, allowing the three runs on seven hits while striking out seven to fall to 5-8 on the year.
- The Monks are now 23-3 all-time against the Saints since their first meeting back in 2004.
- Emmanuel is now idle until Sunday, April 22 when take on Anna Maria College in Paxton, Mass. starting at noon.
- The Monks are back on Saturday, April 21 when they play Rivier University in Nashua, N.H. at 1:00 and 3:00 PM.