Score: Emmanuel 2, Saint Joseph's (ME), 1 (OT)
Records: Emmanuel Saints (2-4, 2-0 GNAC); Saint Joseph's Monks (2-3, 0-2 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Clemente Field
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2017
THE LEAD: Sophomore midfielder Abba McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) scored two goals including the game-winner 1:23 into overtime to power Emmanuel College past Saint Joseph's College (ME), 2-1, Wednesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Following 82 minutes of scoreless action, the Monks took a late 1-0 lead behind an unassisted goal from freshman forward Kayla Gooch (Dracut, Mass.). The forward split the Saints center backs and poked home her first collegiate tally at the 82:32 marker.
- With her first heroics of the night, McKenelley tied the score at 1-1 with just 1:22 remaining in regulation with her second goal of the season. McKenelley volleyed home a bouncing ball across the box that was the result of a throw in from classmate Natalie Dash (East Hampton, Conn.) to send the game to overtime.
- As time expired in regulation, lighting filled the Boston skyline and both teams were forced to exit the field for a 30 minute safety period to allow for the airs to clear.
- Following the break, the Saints won the overtime coin flip and controlled possession setting the stage for McKenelley's second goal of the night. Junior forward Kayla Generis (Wethersfield, Conn.) dropped a ball back just outside the 18-box and McKenelley buried a left footed strike from 22 yards out to lift the Saints to the 2-1 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Monks owned a 13-10 advantage in shots including a 6-1 cushion in the opening half but Emmanuel outshot Saint Joseph's by an 8-7 margin in the second frame while McKenelley's game-winner was the only attempt in the overtime session.
- Saint Joseph's keeper Brooke Troup (East Bridgewater, Mass.) made four saves on the night for the Monks and falls to 2-3 on the year in the pipes.
- Senior keeper Victoria LaRoche (Hudson, N.H.) earned the win for the Saints playing the final 46+ minutes in net, making four saves to improve to 1-1 on the season. Sophomore Alexis Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) held the Monks at bay during the opening half making one save.
- Emmanuel is now 10-4 all-time against the Monks and has won 10 of the last 12 meetings.
- The Saints return to action on Saturday, September 16 when they host Simmons College (ME) at 1:00 PM in another GNAC tilt.
- Saint Joseph's College plays the same day, heading to Paxton, Mass. to take on Anna Maria College at 1:00 PM in GNAC action.