Score: Rhode Island College, 55; Emmanuel College, 74
Records: Rhode Island College Anchorwomen (6-3); Emmanuel College Saints (2-4)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Wednesday, December 6, 2017
THE LEAD: Sophomore guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.) scored a game-high 20 points to help Emmanuel College power past visiting Rhode Island College, 74-55, Wednesday evening in non-conference women's basketball action on the Andy Yosinoff Court. The win snaps a four-game losing streak for the Saints, the program's longest losing streak since the 1997-98 season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The squads traded hoops to open the action to a 9-9 score with 3:33 to play before the Saints took the lead for good on a jumper by sophomore guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.), sparking a 7-0 run to close the quarter to lift the hosts to a 16-9 lead through one.
- Emmanuel's run carried over into the second quarter as they extended the lead to 25-9 before RIC sophomore guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, Mass.) ended the 16-0 stretch with a bucket to get the Anchorwomen in double-digits trailing 25-11.
- The Saints lead held steady at 14 until under the three minute mark in the second quarter when the Anchorwomen put together an 11-4 run to close the half and pull within seven with a 35-28 score at the break.
- A triple by RIC freshman guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, R.I.) made it a five point game (43-38) with 5:40 to play in the third quarter but it would be the closest the visitors would come to tying up the score as the Saints finished the third quarter strong to open up a 55-42 lead heading into the final frame.
- The Saints stayed poised in the final stanza, outscoring the Anchorwomen 19-13 in the quarter to cruise to a 74-55 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda ended the night two board shy of a double-double, grabbing eight rebounds to go along with her 20 points on 10-for-18 shooting from the floor.
- Gauvin paced RIC with a team-best 15 points and a game-high 11 rebounds for a double-double while also dishing out five assists.
- EC senior Ryan Maynard (Bowie, Md.) was back in the starting lineup and made it count with 11 points while Weaver finished the night with 10 points and five assists.
- RIC senior guard Amber DeCristofaro (Smithfield, R.I.) added 10 points for the Anchorwomen.
- Both squads shot poorly from the charity stripe as RIC was only able to muster 40% (6-15) while the Saints were not much better shooting at a 44.4% clip (4-9).
- Emmanuel has now won 15 straight against the Anchorwomen.
- EC longtime head coach Andy Yosinoff now needs 10 career coaching victories to reach 800 wins in his career.
- Emmanuel returns to action tomorrow night when they host Pine Manor College at 5:30 PM in the first game of a men's and women's home doubleheader.
- The Anchorwomen travel back to Boston on Saturday, December 9 to take on UMass Boston at the Clark Athletic Center at 1:00 PM in Little East Conference action.