Score: Brandeis University, 66; Emmanuel College, 55
Records: Brandeis University Judges (3-1); Emmanuel College Saints (1-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2017
THE LEAD: The guard and forward duo of Katie Goncalo (Fall River, MA) and Jillian Petrie (Marlborough, MA) helped create the offensive spark for the Brandeis University Judges, combining for a total of 29 points, to beat the Emmanuel College Saints 66-55 as the teams head into their Thanksgiving breaks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter of the game was a low scoring standoff, with Emmanuel owning a 10-9 lead after one.
- EC sophomore guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, MA) pushed the team to a first half lead of 27-23 with 12 first half points of her own.
- Both teams scored very efficiently in the third quarter, putting 21 points on the board respectively and Emmanuel held a 48-44 lead heading into the final stanza.
- The Saints struggled offensively in the final quarter of the game, while the Judges continued to make over 40% off their field goals attempted.
- EC senior Alisha Fox (National Park, N.J.) connected on one of two free throws to give Emmanuel a 49-44 lead early in the fourth before the Judges reeled off a 7-0 run to take the lead for the first time all game at 51-49 on a layup by junior forward Joelle MarkAnthony (Wallingford, Conn.).
- Brandeis never relinquished the lead and outscored the hosts 15-6 over the final six minutes of regulation to come from behind for the 66-55 road win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda recorded the only double-double for either team, scoring a total of 21 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist and four steals.
- Petrie of the Judges led the way with 16 points of her own, shooting over fifty percent on the evening.
- Both benches contributed substantial minutes for both teams. The Saints bench scored 19 while the Judges bench was able to put 20 on the board.
- Brandeis was able to control the rim on both sides of the floor, out-rebounding the Saints 50-38.
- The Judges have now posted six wins in the last seven meetings against Emmanuel but the Saints still hold the all-time series lead with a 16-14 record over Brandeis in 30 meetings.
- Brandeis plays host to the Tufts University Jumbos, who were ranked as the number one in the preseason polling, on Sunday, November 26th at 1:00 PM.
- Emmanuel begins its GNAC season against rival St. Joseph's College of Maine on Saturday, December 2nd at 1:00 PM in a rematch of the 2017 GNAC Championship contest.