Score: Emmanuel College, 2; Anna Maria College, 0
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (3-7-6, 3-2-4 GNAC); Anna Maria College AMCats (1-13-1, 0-9 GNAC)
Location: Paxton, Mass. – AMCat Field
Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2017
THE LEAD: Sophomore forward William Burdick (Scarborough, Maine) scored two first half goals to propel the Emmanuel College men's soccer team past Anna Maria College, 2-0, Wednesday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at AMCat Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Burdick opened the scoring with his first goal of the afternoon during the 24th minute of play to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.
- With less than two minutes remaining in the first half, Burdick made it 2-0 with his team-leading fifth tally of the year. Burdick got on the end of a corner kick taken by senior Cameron Messier (Belchertown, Mass.) with 1:41 left to play in the stanza.
- Despite owning the 2-0 halftime lead, the Saints were outshot by the AMCats 7-4 in the frame.
- Late in the second half, EC sophomore keeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) preserved the shutout with a huge save on an Anna Maria penalty kick coming during the 82nd minute of regulation.
- The Saints were able to fend off the late push by Anna Maria and hang on for the 2-0 victory to improve to 3-2-4 in GNAC play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The AMCats owned a 14-6 advantage in total shots while corner kicks were even at 6-6.
- The win was Emmanuel's second straight in GNAC play, the first back-to-back wins in conference play since October 6 and October 8 of 2016 with wins over Lasell and Anna Maria.
- With his assist on Burdick's second goal, Messier moves into first all-time in career assists with 16 helpers.
- Sophomore keeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) earned the shutout win for the Saints making six save over the 90 minutes to improve to 3-7-6 on the year between the pipes while notching his eighth career clean sheet.
- AMC freshman keeper Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, Mass.) suffered the loss, falling to 0-6-1 on the year.
- The Saints return to action on Saturday, October 21 when they travel to Weston, Mass. to take on Regis College in a 1:30 PM GNAC contest.
- Anna Maria is also back on Saturday, October 21 heading to Nashua, N.H. to face Rivier University at 1:00 PM in GNAC play.